View Single Post
  #13  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
RicardoJM's Avatar
RicardoJM RicardoJM is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 2,293
Default This past weekend's progress

Thanks for all the warm thoughts. Progress continued this past weekend, and things are getting closer to the end objective.

Saturday morning I went to the junk yard to look for a high pressure hose and return fitting for the low pressure side of the mini truck power steering pump. The low pressure size fitting was pretty easy to find. It is a 17mm x 1.5 thread and I found one in a 90s vintage Toyota 4x4 truck. It is the style that goes straight up and while I was hoping to find the style with the 90 degree bend it will work just fine. I also did some searching for a high pressure hose, but quickly realized I did not have a wrench big enough to disconnect the steering box end of the hose. The search for a high pressure hose was a long shot gambit at best because the threads of the Saginaw pump I pulled are 5/8 18" and the threads on my steering pump are 16mm x 1.5.

For those of you that are thinking about getting the Volvo pump because it has the wide groove pulley, you would actually be best off just grabbing the pulley from the pump and putting it on the generic Saginaw pump. This way you will have a pump with the 16mm x 1.5 threads for your high pressure hose. In my situation, if I get a custom high pressure hose made with different fittings at each end - When my Volvo pump goes belly up, to use my high pressure hose I'll have to replace it with the Volvo reman, at $100. So, I'm thinking that for the long haul I may be better off abandoning my Volvo pump in favor of the generic Saginaw. By doing this now, when my pump goes out I can replace it with another generic Saginaw for about 2/3 the cost of the Volvo pump. I will also have a more standard high pressure hose, which should be easier to find in a parts store should the need ever arise. This is one of those things that you just learn as you go through the process of putting things together, perhaps it can save someone a little frustration when they take on their swap.

After the boys swim meet, I got the new water pump installed. I did not have my bucket under the old water pump when I removed it from the engine block. Fortunately it did not take too long to sop up the mess. Most of the gasket came off on the pump so there was very little scraping needed on the block. With the pump off, I was able to run a flat razor blade down the block and scrape off the gunga from the side cover leak. As long as the cleanup had started, I went ahead and cleaned up the timing cover and around the front drive engine mount.

With the two row pulleys in place, I made the final adjustments on the power steering pump mounting. The pulley alignment is spot on and the pump is solidly mounted. That said, I'll likely end up going with a different Saginaw pump so that I can get 16mm x 1.5 threads. On the plus side, I was able to confirm that I don't have any clearance issues with my big air cleaner. It should not take long to fit another pump.

My largest time sink this weekend was re-routing the alternator wiring. The ground wires (white w/ black stripe) for the driver front head light and VSV had been spliced together with the ground wire running from the alternator to voltage regulator. In order to make sure I know where everything was going, I unwrapped all of the wires. To make the work easier, I removed the driver side fender. I decided to run the alternator to voltage regulator ground wire direct. The Haynes wiring diagram and information on MUD all indicate this is the way the ground wire should be. I also made sure the two remaining ground wires run independent of each other.

I used connectors with heat shrink. With all the wires unloomed, it was easy to clean up some loose ends from when I removed my VSV and speed sensor. My speed sensor connection wires are now wrapped up so they are not exposed to the elements; previously I had just taped up the ends and taped them to my bright light switch wiring. I also had spliced in some of the horseshoe shaped connectors for the voltage regulators, so i went ahead and swapped the connectors to the shrink-wrapped version. I do have some questions about the routing of the alternator/voltage regulator wiring that I posted up in a different thread. I am glad to have been able to remove the big ground wire splice and overall am very pleased with how much cleaner the wrapping of the wires is now that it has been redone.

Visually, there is not all that much to show for the weekends work, but here is a shot of what it looked like yesterday afternoon before I re-wrapped all the wires.
__________________
Ricardo Maestas - Bio Page
KD0CAW
1999 LX 470, 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Reply With Quote