View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
But you know about 4 qts drain out when the stuff stops dripping out of the pan. If you raise the right-front it will be a little more, also if you wait a while (like hours) it will be a little more... the rest of your ATF stays up in the torque converter.

Then to fill you just shove a funnel in the dipstick hole, and slowly add back the ATF. I usually stop at around 3.5 qts to check it but end up right at 4. My brother's 4Runner takes 4.5.. and I do this at every oil change. To get really geeky, Raven created a spreadsheet that predicts what % of ATF is new with every 4 quart swap, I'm sure you can find it if you look. Easier, IMO, to just start fresh, then keep it fresh. At only 2 OCI's per year I think the added cost is well worth it.
Excellent. It is real world experience like this you don't find in the FSM or owner's manual . I've seen that spreadsheet as well and also agree it is easier to start with all new, expecially on a rig with pretty much zero known history.
TLCA #17037
'07 UZJ100
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater