View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Okay, here is what I found: this is the article I was thinking of, though it doesn't necessarily cover the exact issue; there may be another one somewhere but I'm pretty sure this is the one I was thinking of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Whatley, Sept/Oct 2001 Toyota Trails
"I just replaced the clutch on my stock 1984 FJ60. I installed the shifter and it won't shift. I then took off the shift tower to inspect for problems and everything seems fine, reinstalled it and it still won't shift. Do you know what the problem is?" Dave Berry

Make sure that the tranny is in neutral before you insert the shifter. Then make sure you insert the shifter so that it is in the neutral position too. This should solve things. What has happened is that the transmission was in gear when you inserted the shifter. The shift lever wound up engaged in a shift rail other than the one which actuated the gear that it was in. The design of the tranny will not permit the rails other than the one engaged to move. This is to prevent the tranny from being engaged in two gears at the same time.

This can also happen if you are resting your hand on or holding on to the shifter while negotiating rough terrain. Wear to the shift mechanism can allow the shift lever to be pulled between the rails and result in the same problem. The rail that is engaged by the lever is different from the one that is engaging the gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Whatley, Nov/Dec 2002 Toyota Trails
"In a response to Dave Berry in the Sept-Oct 2001 Toyota Trails, you said: "This (wear causing the transmission to engage two gears at once) can also happen if you are resting your hand on or holding on to the shifter while negotiating rough terrain." Well, I have to hold my shifter while descending steep slopes to keep my 1986 FJ60 in gear. Am I wearing out my shifter/transmission? Can something be done to keep the thing from jumping out of gear at the least convenient moments? Or does its slipping out of gear indicate the need for repair or replacement of parts?" James Peavler

Actually what I wrote was: "This can also happen if you are resting your hand or holding on to the shifter while negotiating rough terrain. Wear to the shift mechanism can allow the shift lever to be pulled between the rails and result in the same problem." The "This," and the "same problem" mentioned here are winding up with a locked transmission that will not shift due to the lever being in an incorrect rail slot.

This really doesn't have anything to do with the problem that you are experiencing. If your transmission is popping out of gear in overrun conditions this is indicative of wear. Holding it in is better than losing control and will not cause major problems when only done for short periods. But ideally your tranny needs some attention internally.
Sounds like your transmission needs "some attention internally"

Now I have to go clean the apartment, that look altogether too little time - it was the first issue I looked in
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD