Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemarsh View Post
The question that I have is how large are the RV sites? I reserved #75 (at least that's what they gave me) and I just want to make sure it will be large enough. By the time I have everything pulled out on the camper it's about 20' X 25'.
The RV sites in the center area are large enough for a full size RV plus some. You could call or shoot them an email to get exact dimensions but I imagine you will have plenty of room for both the camper and your rig. Width might be the only concern as it sounds like you are pretty wide...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Rock Stacker

Default First time as well, with wife and kids!

Just wanted to chime in. We will be attending for the first time, including my wife and kids (son 12, daughter 9). Unfortunately my daughter is severly allergic to cottonwood, so we are staying down the street at the Portal RV campground. Anyway, I figure we will spend a lot of time at Slickrock. Are there any trails that are so long or tedious that the family will go nuts??? I want to make this as fun an experience for them as possible...so I get to come back year after year. Cheers and I look forward to meeting many of you.

'85 4Runner with many upgrades...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Not signing up to wheel every day is what keeps my wife happy. Spending a day in the middle doing something she wants works for us. There is plenty of fun to be had in Moab.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Toy View Post
Just wanted to chime in. We will be attending for the first time, including my wife and kids (son 12, daughter 9). Unfortunately my daughter is severly allergic to cottonwood, so we are staying down the street at the Portal RV campground. Anyway, I figure we will spend a lot of time at Slickrock. Are there any trails that are so long or tedious that the family will go nuts??? I want to make this as fun an experience for them as possible...so I get to come back year after year. Cheers and I look forward to meeting many of you.

Kane Creek can be that way, especially if you get backed up on the exit out of the canyon.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum Evergreen neighbor.

Golden Spike is said to be a long long day in the seat. Elephant Hill is too, but the scenery and hikes help make it a family friendly day. You might want to skip the hardcore trails too if your family gets bored waiting to clear obstacles. I would pick some more scenic/fun/short trails for the family's first visit to Cruise Moab.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Unfortunately my daughter is severly allergic to cottonwood...
Just wondering if she has been tested so you know that? Interested because I always thought I was really allergic to cottonwood and that my 9-yr old was as well. CM '07 the cottonwood was so thick it was drifted like snow (last year there was none...) and we figured we were in trouble. Nothing, no issues, nada. Come to find out it is the pine tree pollen we are allergic to. Just so happens the two tend to pump out their "stuff" around the same time but you can readily see the cottonwood flying...Not so much with the pine tree pollen.

Quote:
Are there any trails that are so long or tedious that the family will go nuts??? I want to make this as fun an experience for them as possible...so I get to come back year after year. Cheers and I look forward to meeting many of you.
I can tell you what my and the 5 & 9 yr old daughters have liked over the last two CM's. Poison Spider (seems to be their fav), Fins & Thing, Porcupine Rim, and Hells Revenge. None of these have proven to be too long or tedious and you are usually back in camp by 3-4pm. We ran Metal Masher last year and we weren't too fond of that one. There were some fun sections like the beginning and mirror gulch but the rest was just ok.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 03-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Just wondering if she has been tested so you know that? Interested because I always thought I was really allergic to cottonwood and that my 9-yr old was as well. CM '07 the cottonwood was so thick it was drifted like snow (last year there was none...) and we figured we were in trouble. Nothing, no issues, nada. Come to find out it is the pine tree pollen we are allergic to. Just so happens the two tend to pump out their "stuff" around the same time but you can readily see the cottonwood flying...Not so much with the pine tree pollen.

I can tell you what my and the 5 & 9 yr old daughters have liked over the last two CM's. Poison Spider (seems to be their fav), Fins & Thing, Porcupine Rim, and Hells Revenge. None of these have proven to be too long or tedious and you are usually back in camp by 3-4pm. We ran Metal Masher last year and we weren't too fond of that one. There were some fun sections like the beginning and mirror gulch but the rest was just ok.
Thank you. Yes, we first ran into the problem last Spring with my daughter. We had her into the doctor and had to keep her in from recess for 2-3 weeks while the cottonwood trees went nuts on the school playground.

Regarding the trails you mention, I think I signed up for Fins&Things, Porcupine Rim and Elephant Hill. Sounds like I should cancel for Elephant Hill. I Didn't print out my choices for each day when I was registering. Is there any way to find out that information? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Regarding the trails you mention, I think I signed up for Fins&Things, Porcupine Rim and Elephant Hill. Sounds like I should cancel for Elephant Hill. I Didn't print out my choices for each day when I was registering. Is there any way to find out that information? Thanks.
Well, assuming no issues (broken down rigs etc) I would say Porcupine Rim will be your shortest day if you go to the same spot we did and turn around. Fins & Things will be the next shortest. Not long days at all and there are opportunities to get out and stretch a bit on each of those.

As for Elephant Hill. I have yet to run that. I've heard the scenery is spectacular. The problem is that it is so far away from Moab that you have to leave early to get to the trail head (I think it is a 7am or 8am departure from the south side of town) and takes an hour or so to get there. Then run the trail and drive back. It is not unusual for people to not be getting back to camp till 7pm or later. That said, if you and the family don't mind the 2-3 hours of additional driving, I don't think the trail is tedious or long at all. In fact, I think it is one of the highly recommended family trails. CM '07 we were signed up for Elephant Hill on the first day and switched to Porcupine Rim instead because the kids and wife weren't up for the long "commute" to and from the trail.

As for what you have been assigned, you could PM Hants and he can probably let you know what you've signed up for but he might not know what the final selections are (assuming you selected 3 choices per day).
TLCA #17037

:

Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Elephant Hill is long, but the best scenery, including some hikes. A lot more fun for the family (IMHO) than sitting in a line of rigs waiting for people to clear obstacles.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Elephant Hill is long, but the best scenery, including some hikes. A lot more fun for the family (IMHO) than sitting in a line of rigs waiting for people to clear obstacles.
I definitely agree with that, and even an easy run like Fins can be just excruciating if the leader isn't keeping eveyone moving- parking to watch 20 trucks go off the same rock gets really old, particularly for the passengers. Porkupine rim is probably one of the better family runs since there really aren't that many obstacles worth stopping and watching.. so it's pretty tough to not keep moving (can still happen though).

I think this is one of the things that has made WipeOut so hill popular, it's definitely one of the reasons that I like it. It's got a faster pace to it than just about every other run out there, and the times you do stop everyone knows it's coming so there aren't as any "ah man, why are we stopping again?" cries from the passenger seat that are almost inevitibale on some of the other runs.. and fins is the worst for that, IMO. But it's also super fun when you are moving, so you kinda need to run it anyway!

and X2 on what Corbet said, "no trail run" is one of the best selections you can do with a family. You're still at the event, but it's still a family vacation and a day to not all be in the car is very well spent.

www.gamiviti.com