Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone
Default 85 FJ60 Water pump, thermostat questions

This morning I started a flush of the radiator, replacement of the thermostat, flush of the heater core for the front and rear heaters in an attempt to get heat in my rig. If the Mrs. and little one are gonna go wheelin' next autumn and winter, gotta have heat for 'em.

So, I drained the radiator--what a mess, but got most of it. Pulled the waterhouse thing apart, have a replacement thermostat and gaskets. I thought I might need to replace the water pump, only because I have no idea if it's ever been done and I'd hate to do all this work and have it die on me in June during the Blow Off Work and Go Wheelin' day, or something like that. But, once I got the hoses all disconnected and the waterhouse thing off, the water pump looks amazingly clean, gasket looks new, I think it could have been replaced in the not too distant past.

Question 1: How can I tell if I need to replace the water pump, are there any telltale signs that it's on the way out? I'd just as soon not replace it, but again, don't want to get caught with an issue down the road. On that note, it looks like a tough job if I have to do it?
Question 2: What the heck do I do with a few gallons of antifreeze? Where can I take it to be properly disposed of.
Questions 3 and 4: There are two BVSV things that attach to the right side of the waterhouse. Attempting to get the vacuum hose off that thing, I broke off the little nipple for the vacuum hose on one of them.
(3.) what do those things do?
(4.) Are there any tricks to getting those little 3mm vacuum hoses off and on that note, any tricks for getting old radiator hoses off, those things can be the toughest part of the project, at least so far.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
TLCA#11073
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just did a radiator, waterpump, thermostat and heater valve on my 60. It's still running cold! There must be hot/cold thermostats or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBone View Post
Question 1: How can I tell if I need to replace the water pump, are there any telltale signs that it's on the way out? I'd just as soon not replace it, but again, don't want to get caught with an issue down the road. On that note, it looks like a tough job if I have to do it?
The waterpump will usually start leaking before it fails. If it's not leaking, don't bother replacing it yet because it's a chore. Never hurts to have a spare one around.

Quote:
Question 2: What the heck do I do with a few gallons of antifreeze? Where can I take it to be properly disposed of.
Don't Flush it down the drain as some might suggest. Ethylene glycol needs to be taken to the haz-mat dump. Don't leave it around for an animal/kid to get into. toxic stuff.

Quote:
Questions 3 and 4: There are two BVSV things that attach to the right side of the waterhouse. Attempting to get the vacuum hose off that thing, I broke off the little nipple for the vacuum hose on one of them.
(4.) Are there any tricks to getting those little 3mm vacuum hoses off and on that note, any tricks for getting old radiator hoses off, those things can be the toughest part of the project, at least so far.
Doh! I did the same thing. Those little suckers are expensive too. They are heat activated switches for the emissions stuff. I broke one and carefully super-glued it back together. It lasted awhile, then I finally ponied up and bought a new one.

Hoses: I just buy new hoses and use a blade to cut old ones off. They tend to need replacing anyway once they get old/dried out.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Question 1: How can I tell if I need to replace the water pump...
Sorry, no help on that

Quote:
Question 2: What the heck do I do with a few gallons of antifreeze? Where can I take it to be properly disposed of..
I know there have been threads on this and depending on where you live you may have a county or city hazard waste drop off place. I also remember some folks mentioned that dealerships (sponsors) may take it for recycling.

Quote:
(4.) Are there any tricks to getting those little 3mm vacuum hoses off and on that note, any tricks for getting old radiator hoses off, those things can be the toughest part of the project, at least so far..
Not sure about the BVSV things or what they do...As for getting the old hoses off. When I replaced all of the coolant hoses on my LX I found the best approach was to take a small flat head screw driver and wedge it between the hose and the connection point and work it around the perimeter to help break the seal. On hoses that I could not get to with the screwdriver I ended up cutting them with a utility knife to break the seal...Of course after doing the PHH on the LX the radiator hoses were a breeze, for the most part
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

I will chime in on the water pump. After all the belts are either way loose or off, spin the shaft of the pump. Is is rough or real wobbly, can you see the weep hole? if so, is it wet?
If the weep hole is wet, usually the bearing is rough. If all is smooth and dry. Should be good for a bit.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

To loosen stuck radiator and vacuum hoses, spray a little WD40 on the junction of the hose and what it's stuck to, and gently (very) work the hose back and forth (around the fitting) with a long-needlenose pliers (or vise-grips, for a radiator hose). Squeeze gently to avoid snapping off plastic fittings or deforming brass radiator outlets. I often use my gloved fingers to work the hose loose, so I can get a better sense of the force I'm using.

Really nasty hoses may need to be cut off with a utility knife, but don't gouge the fitting underneath the hose by slicing with too much pressure. Make multiple passes until the hose begins to split, and then work it loose by hand.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I have been frequenting Burt Toyota (it is on my way home) for many of my OEM parts purchases. While there I asked about places that would take used antifreeze - and they said to bring it in. I did and they properly disposed of it, even asked if I needed my containers back.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941