Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default any type of gasket making company around???

Hi all,
I finally got the money to order the new Oil Cooler cover & other parts I needed for my Troopy (2H, I bought a used cover to save money), and the oil cooler cover gasket was a non-stocked special order part. So I get a notice a week later that my parts have shipped, and when they show up today, no gasket. The only info I find is a small note saying, "toyota discontinued, sorry."
Talk about pissing me off. I mean, I still need the cover, but I feel like they should have contacted me to see if they should ship/cancel etc... in that situation. I would have first looked to see if I could order new from OZ with the gasket rather than only getting part of the goods I need.
So I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any sort of company (around here or mail order) that could custom cut a gasket for me? If not, does anyone here have any experience with using that gasket sheet to cut them? I have tried in the past & ruined a lot of attempts. So if someone here does that well I would gladly pay them for the time & effort....

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,
Abe
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

steele's motorcycles on sante fe makes gaskets.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

The oil cooler gasket is most likely a paper gasket. Paper gaskets are super-easy and cheap to make from gasket material available from most auto parts stores and hardware stores. The two methods (both work fine) is to either lay the gasket material on the part and tap all around the edges with a hammer to get the cut started, or lay it on and trace with pen or pencil and cut with scissors or knife. I carry a roll of gasket material around in my tool box, plus have a roll in my garage, they have come in handy many times.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys,
It is a paper gasket (the old one is still on the cooler I got from SOR), so I guess I will try to make it again like Jeff suggests. Like I said I screwed up a bunch the last time I tried, but practice makes perfect & that seems like a good skill to pick up. Plus, knowing that Steele's cycles makes gaskets makes you feel a little better about potentially screwing it up!
Thanks a bunch.

Best,
Abe