Attached Images

______
Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Is anyone running this tire? thoughts?
Yes, want to buy mine? Loudest darn tire I have run in a long time! Forward traction is superb! Lateral traction is poor. If you want to climb something or bash snow this tire will exceed your expectations! Try climbing out of a muddy rut or listening to your stereo on the highway with your window open....forget it!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

I like them, the ones I have now work great and as said before I am sure they as good.

I do worry with *eep ordering these stock on their rigs if GY sold out a little and made them more street-able, is that a word???

I think it is a valid claim, *eep sells a bunch of Rubi's and they come with the MTR as an option (may be standard now) So to make the Jeep ride a little better ( can that be?) they may have changed the sidewalls and thread pattern to quiet them and make them handle the street better. UB noticed the extra sipping, mostly for the street. It does work off road too as long as you go off road

I would like to see them in action on a rig other than a *eep and see how they flex and and bite with more or LESS weight on them. I could care less about the pattern as long as I get up the hill and they have a decent to good life span for what we do.

That is my

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Rising Sun Commander

That is a valid point about positioning, Tom, I know I started thinking less of BFG AT's when they started coming standard on H2's. And yup I think a little less of MT/R's because they come with Jeeps... but I'm hardly the target demographic for either, they lost 1 here but +10,000 on the other side of the fence.. probably a good marketing strategy for both.

And these Toyo M/T's are by far my favorite tire yet, they are lasting a long time (about to hit their third Cruise Moab), they are quiet, and still dead solid- no vibrations at any speed. I wish they wheeled as well as the Trxus' did, but you can't have everything, I don't miss that shimmy at 55mph one bit. Only downside with Toyo IMO is the weight, they are so freakin heavy I'm sure it costs more gas than another tire would, and stopping distances are definitely increased by at least some distance, I really notice when I'm pulling a loaded trailer... if you see me coming don't pull out in front of me please

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
I just saw these on a Jeep and I don't like them either. I have MTR's and so far no complaints, but I will most likely try another brand when these wear out.

Any recommendations on a MT tire?
I just got new MT's for my mini. I was looking at Swamper TSL radials, the Wrangler MT's, BFG MT's, and after doing the research and comparing prices I actually went with these:

Big O Bigfoot XT

They are Much less expensive than any other MT and they have a no questions 3 year warranty with free rotation, etc. They ride nicely, do great in the snow and are pretty quiet. I didn't want to drop serious coin on my rusty junk pickup, and these fit the bill.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I love my MT/R's from Goodyear (older style) but that said, I did swap out a set of SS Thornbirds for them... I could ONLY go up in quality.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

When I bought my new Mickey Thompson MTZs, they had really good deals at Discount on the now older version of the Goodyear MT/Rs. Not sure if they still have them, but I was tempted.

With that said, I really like the MTZs. They are a bit heavy (slowed down the already slow 80 even more!), but they are really quiet for a MT.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Trail Ready

i like them!

Goodyear is smart enough to see the competition and innovate before they get passed up. i bet 10 years ago everyone was sceptically about the OG MTR's

I have not yet run a better all around tire on my rig than the MTR's
Old 04-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Take a hard look at the new MT/R - it should remind you a bit of the KM2 with that inner band for lateral and wet traction. Maybe goofy looking, but I like the idea.

What surprises me is these tires are not directional - they should be, and the OWL has to go.

But they look to me quite a bit like the KM2 (the tire that killed the original MT/R after the MT/R killed the BFG MT) with a bias to lateral/wet traction.

I just ordered a set of 37x12.5x16 Trxus
Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just ordered a set of 37x12.5x16 Trxus......very nice Mr. Nay!

I have my eye on those, my big thing is I like Discount tire for the free rotation and balances. Discount has seen me every 3k or so with the MTR's plus they are in the hood.

______