Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM

Default HG Machine Shop Recommendations

I'm knee deep in my "S/C Rebuild and HG Replacement Project" on my 97 with 158,000 miles. I'm doing this as preventative maintenence.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best machine shop in the front range to check over the head?
Thanks. Doug
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

By checking out a head, Are you refering to just checking for flatness and such or are you asking for a full rebuild( valve ground, seats cut, seals replaced, milling the head).
Just checking one out is IMO, not good enough if you plan to Super charge your engine. Spend the money and get the head work over and up to near new conditions. Have the valves and seats worked on, seals replaced and the valves adjusted. If the head does not need milling, then great, but it is nice to have a real smooth head going back on the block (no pittiing, or impressions of the old style head gasket, that is different then the new style). It is also nice to have a clean head going back on that will not contaminate the HG with oil that is not clean off.

Mountain High Performance On Ward road and 70 has been doing all my work for many years. Bill is the owner and Pat is his side kick. Do great work. 303-420-6218

Gunn automotive does good work as well, Just be sure you are clear on what you want done and the prices. I have not used them for years.
Good luck, Robbie
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM

I'll call Mountain High Performance.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Doug
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would also recommend gunn automotive on Federal just north of Alemeda. They just rebuilt my head for my FJ60 and its all good so far.

Mine was hot tanked, valves ground, new seals installed, machined, and reassembled.

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM

I called Bill at Mountain High Performance. He sounded like a good guy on the phone and was an obvious expert on the 80 series head.

I plan to have the head off this Thursday night and delivered by Friday. He said his turnaround is about one week.

Doug