Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Jeff I could barely hear you break squelch a couple of times.. one time I thought I heard my call sign being called out, but was really tough to tell. Then later I heard Treeroot talking to your callsign, so figured yeah that must of been you, sorry I didn't radio back but I wouldn't have been able to hear you.

Also, for whatever reason Tramontana was super quiet, as was Seldom Seen. So I had my volume cranked for a while, thinking I need to do the remote speaker thing now.

But yes, you need a solid mobile rig so you can QSO across the state like the rest of us.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Jeff I could barely hear you break squelch a couple of times.. one time I thought I heard my call sign being called out, but was really tough to tell.
I was really disappointed in the distance limitation of the HT - I knew I couldn't reach the GJ repeater from 50 miles out but I started trying at 40 miles and then about every 10 miles or so and figured that I should be able to hit it at 10-20 miles out...Of course, I have no idea where the repeater is actually at but I could hear you and Bruce crystal clear. Nathaniel and Ross not so much but they were working off the Glenwood Springs repeater which sounded like it was iffy at best.

Lesson to those relying on a HT for long distance use I guess. I was surprised though seeing as I can hit the Denver repeater from my house down south with the HT and extendable antenna while in the LX I'm using a real antenna, not just the little stubby one ...No worries, I should have a FT-8800 installed and ready to go sometime this summer
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater