Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

If I was to get a Kenwood mobile I think I would go with the D710A. I would really like to have a play with APRS. I had not noticed the mic coming from the body. In the pictures its a little deceiveing...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I don't think you'll like the quality of the alinco compared to kenwood or yaesu. I really do like the kenwoods . At some point i'll buy a dual band mobile and i'm not really comitted to yaesu even though I have the 1802 and the 8r.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Have you used a dual radio setup?

No, that's why I'm puzzled as to what the benefit is.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I think the Kenwood is easier to program than the Yaesu, so I'm not as intimidated by that as I may have been a few years ago. Actually still leaning towards the Kenwood, will try to get down to HRO in the next couple weekends to play with one.

Having the mic come from the base unit may not be that bad actually- if I'm going to mount that under the driver's seat, and clip it to the middle hump somewhere, maybe the center of the dash, then that actually could be pretty clean. Again, I need to see one first.
http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/Manual...lish%20O-M.pdf

Mic definitely connects to the base vs the front panel per the manual (pg 92). Not a deal killer, just another wire to run from the rear but...

This thread got me to thinking as I was preparing to buy the FT-8800 despite the fact that the buttons don't light up (still wondering why Yaesu would do that). The Kenwood is nice but looking at the manual for the install I'm not sure I like how the face plate gets mounted (pg 91). Seems big and bulky compared to the Yaesu way.

Didn't Corbet end up buying the Kenwood back when?

Decisions, decisions, decisions
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
No, that's why I'm puzzled as to what the benefit is.
Being in two conversations at once. Every day in Moab I was on 146.460 on one channel, and whatever run I was on on the other. And more often talking on one, but wanting to have the other in the background. Was particularly sweet when I wanted to monitor 146.460 to see when I got in range, then when I could hear someone else I'd know it was a good time to check in. Or on the way home I was yakking with Scott on simplex, but monitoring the Colorado Connection on the other. Then I'd switch over to talk on the repeater channel, but still wanted to hear if someone called me on simplex.

Yes maybe all that's possible by monitoring just two frequencies, but once you're transmitting on one are you still monitoring the other? It seems a lot simpler and less confusing to just have two radios, and given the expected life of these things the additional money amortized across that seems well worth it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
The Kenwood is nice but looking at the manual for the install I'm not sure I like how the face plate gets mounted (pg 91). Seems big and bulky compared to the Yaesu way.
Actually Jeff that doesn't look any more cumbersome than the Yaesu, in if you leave off the "panel bracket" it's pretty much the same thing. I screwed the "sub panel" to the tranny hump, then the faceplate just attaches to it.. looks like the same could be done with the Kenwood. Also 60wag attached his subpanel to that row of switches below the heater controls, which is pretty sweet if you haven't already consumed all of those. And yes one could do it over the radio too, but it would stick out kind of far.

that panel bracket kind of opens up some new options as well, hmm..... thanks for posting that!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good to know Tim...I guess I've only really ever seen Matt's setup up close so I'm not sure where everyone else has located their front panel and in what fashion. I like Matt's setup and was going to do the same, with maybe a small LED (red?) shining down onto the panel for night use.

Seems that the biggest advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu is the backlit buttons but cost wise (including remote face kit, extension cables, etc.) it would run me $100+ more. Not sure I need to see the buttons that bad...LOL
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

In Moab, I found that when I was talking on the ham, I couldn't really listen to the chat on the CB - it was one or the other. Multitasking tends to leave me doing nothing completely.

As for my band plan in Moab, I had 6 banks set up. Bank 1 is front range channels, bank 2 is I70 Colorado connection repeaters, bank 3 is all the Moab simplex freqs used at CM, bank 4 is my thursday run freq plus 146.460 and the moab repeaters, bank 5 is Friday run + 146.460, bank 6 is Sat run + 146.460 etc. I also had 146.460 assigned to all the banks so it would be included in whatever bank I was scanning.
This made it simple to just pick a bank and hit scan. I could easily go from scanning 4 channels to scanning 18 channels and back to 4. The scan loop took a second or less so not much of a transmission was missed. Overall I think it worked pretty well so I'm still questioning the true benefit of twin radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Being in two conversations at once. Every day in Moab I was on 146.460 on one channel, and whatever run I was on on the other. And more often talking on one, but wanting to have the other in the background. Was particularly sweet when I wanted to monitor 146.460 to see when I got in range, then when I could hear someone else I'd know it was a good time to check in. Or on the way home I was yakking with Scott on simplex, but monitoring the Colorado Connection on the other. Then I'd switch over to talk on the repeater channel, but still wanted to hear if someone called me on simplex.

Yes maybe all that's possible by monitoring just two frequencies, but once you're transmitting on one are you still monitoring the other? It seems a lot simpler and less confusing to just have two radios, and given the expected life of these things the additional money amortized across that seems well worth it.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Good to know Tim...I guess I've only really ever seen Matt's setup up close so I'm not sure where everyone else has located their front panel and in what fashion. I like Matt's setup and was going to do the same, with maybe a small LED (red?) shining down onto the panel for night use.

Seems that the biggest advantage the Kenwood has over the Yaesu is the backlit buttons but cost wise (including remote face kit, extension cables, etc.) it would run me $100+ more. Not sure I need to see the buttons that bad...LOL
I've got mine screwed to the vertical portion of the tranny hump, below the ashtray. It has been a great place for it, only occasionally have I had to move my head to see something around a gearshift. You're right about the back lights, they're not worth $100 if that's the difference... if you really need to program something at night like a tone or offset, especially initially, you probably oughta be stopped, and in that case just flip the map light on.

Though once you know where you are it's actually not so bad to poke in there while driving, because the radio will stay on whatever option you were last on. Since most of the time you're up at 39 or 40 to do tones and the ENC DEC stuff, it stays up at 39 or 40. Heck, here's another benefit of the dual bands, Scott was asking me for the tone on the Breck repeater, and I was able to pop into the setting and verify that for him, while speaking with him on the other channel.

Pictures of my install location... (though all the LED's are blue now )
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
In Moab, I found that when I was talking on the ham, I couldn't really listen to the chat on the CB - it was one or the other. Multitasking tends to leave me doing nothing completely.

As for my band plan in Moab, I had 6 banks set up. Bank 1 is front range channels, bank 2 is I70 Colorado connection repeaters, bank 3 is all the Moab simplex freqs used at CM, bank 4 is my thursday run freq plus 146.460 and the moab repeaters, bank 5 is Friday run + 146.460, bank 6 is Sat run + 146.460 etc. I also had 146.460 assigned to all the banks so it would be included in whatever bank I was scanning.
This made it simple to just pick a bank and hit scan. I could easily go from scanning 4 channels to scanning 18 channels and back to 4. The scan loop took a second or less so not much of a transmission was missed. Overall I think it worked pretty well so I'm still questioning the true benefit of twin radios.
Well I can agree with that Bruce, a couple time in Moab I was participating in 4 conversations at once... one with Gavin, one on CB, then one on each Ham channel.. got a little silly a couple of times. When you transmit, does your radio continue to scan the other bands? Or does scanning stop? Maybe my problem is I never learned how to program a bank...

www.gamiviti.com