Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Rising Sun member

Talking Tundra Mods

So I've been thinking...

I've got this great new truck. Though it won't see heavy wheeling (at least until the SAS and the 6" lift ), I would like it to be a capable machine. I'm planning an ARB front bumper for at least three reasons: 1) protection from deer; 2) I can put a winch for emergency snow recovery etc. on it - FEAT style you know; and 3) because it's cool

and since the guys over at tundrasolutions.com seem to be more concerned about whether they can fit an 18", 20" or 26" wheel under the thing, I'm wondering if there are any "real" mods I can do to make it mo' betta.

I'm hoping to get an Eaton LSD sometime in the future, plus the Flippac and a drawer system in the bed, but today I was wondering about the interior.

I only have one switch blank (1st picture), but there's a large space above the tranny hump (2nd pic) that begs some sort of fabricated center console to hold stuff. And then there's the garage door opener holder (3rd pic), which I've seen guys use for a removable Ham radio faceplate.

I don't know what I'm thinking, but it looks like I have options
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 10-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dude...what were you saying?

I got lost once I saw all that bling wood
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Rising Sun member

oh yeah and I was going to replace the fake wood trim with custom carved maple or something - would give me an excuse to start building up a woodshop
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 AM

Not sure if you have cubby holes in the bed but you could add lights to the bed. This is some of the stuff i did to my tacoma when i had it.

You could put a scan gauge up in the sunglass holder...
Mount a Rtt over the bed like this...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

My bro-in-law has an '03 Tundra, and the best mods he did for wheeling so far, which I have witnessed and rode in, have been an ARB bumper, Aussie Winch, Sway-Away coilovers adjusted to 2", and Bilstein 5100 shocks out back. He also moved all breathers to the highest point in the engine bay. Before he did the front coilovers, his ARB bumper/winch combo almost lowered the suspension 1.5", so plan on heavier rate coilovers up front.

I would forget any type of limited slips. All they do is still let just one wheel spin! I have had several, and seen several do nothing positive for traction, plus they act bad in the snow and ice. To me, there is no other option than a selectable locker.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Commander

You know I'm inclined to agree with Mike on the locker... you'll be able to get that truck pretty far with some good line selection and power braking. If you really do add a winch there's your savior if you get too far. And you want to be all the way open on snowy roads, IMO, especially with a light back end.

Have you considered a more tube-style bumper a la Allpro that gives you almost the same protection at half the weight? I don't know if anyone produces one for a Tundra but you certainly know people who can bend & weld... something like this http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tac...04frontbumpers

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Have you considered a more tube-style bumper a la Allpro that gives you almost the same protection at half the weight?
I agree. Those ARB bumpers add a TON of weight. I can't even pick a Tundra one up by myself. Try to research something.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
You know I'm inclined to agree with Mike on the locker... you'll be able to get that truck pretty far with some good line selection and power braking. If you really do add a winch there's your savior if you get too far. And you want to be all the way open on snowy roads, IMO, especially with a light back end.
Some of the Tundras came with a Limited Slip from the factory, so that's why I thought it would be a good idea. I'm not sure what all is available for the Tundra, but I do know Limited Slip is available. If a Toyota-style electric rear locker is available, I might consider it and I could use the switch blank on my dash. Of course I'd have to budget the install and have someone professionally do it...

Quote:
Have you considered a more tube-style bumper a la Allpro that gives you almost the same protection at half the weight? I don't know if anyone produces one for a Tundra but you certainly know people who can bend & weld... something like this http://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tac...04frontbumpers
You know personally I've never really cared for that style of bumper. I know it works fine but to me that's more a rock-buggy look than a DD/weekend wheeler look. Just not my style. It's good to know about the extra weight, I guess I'm used to the 80 where you can put that much weight on the front and not really notice a difference. I'll have to take that into consideration, see if I'll have to add some heavier duty front suspension components...

Have to remember though, the 1st gen Tundra ARB is only available in a Sahara Bar - it's not like the Deluxe Bar that's available for the current gen Tundras, or even the one available for the 80 series.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I got lost once I saw all that bling wood
The Ammo box on the floor makes him gangsta...

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
The Ammo box on the floor makes him gangsta...
Murdered out!!
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133