Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Argentine Clean Up Run

Wow, what a great day. We had six trucks and picked up quite a bunch of trash. Even brought out a section of culvert. We were accompanied by a couple of forest rangers on the way up to the mine. A couple of signs were put up as needed. The rangers asked that we check out a trail closure on the other side of the valley; we did and all was well. With all the family members and friends pitching in we put in some quality hours and left the area better than we found it. All in all a very good work day for the club.

Even with all the work we managed to get a bit of fun in on the trail. Our group made radio contact with the Ham Field Day group as they were breaking camp. Had a QSO with Marco as he headed west on I-70 at the end of the day. We also provided some assistance to a wrangler with hydro lock from going into a water crossing too fast. We (well the BoomBoom and I) enjoyed a nice burger at the end of the day.

A big thanks to CBone, Crash, Beater, Largeone, TheBoomBoom for making it out and Subzali for coordinating with the Forest Service.

We started the day airing down a meeting everyone. Followed by a safety meeting with the forest service and our own pre-run meeting.

We were soon on our way picking up trash and replacing signs. It is good to see our club represented on the sign boards.

Putting up signs is a fun time.

Here is the largest piece going up on Paul's truck.

There is another that was too big to bring out, perhaps on the next work day we can round up some tools to break it down into smaller pieces.

We all enjoy Carlton's meeting minutes every month. As you can see, he is happy about everything he does.

The scenery up in this area is great.

SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 06-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Man I wish I could have made it.

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

We stopped for lunch up at the mine. Before starting off again, Bart and Brahma took a run up the hill in the background.

On the way up Bart was leading.

On the way down Bart was gunning.

The group thinned a bit after lunch as some needed to get back to town. Here is the after lunch crowd as we made our way under the power lines.

With a digital camera it is easy to take a bunch of pictures. You then get home and wonder just what you were thinking - but I did like this shot.

Here is a link to a movie of TheBoomBoom and then Crash coming through the last water crossing of the day.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uplo...ercrossing.MOV

Just after the movie, I got this picture of Steve. His smile is just a big as Carlton's.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

I felt horrible about having to leave early, especially after finding I didn't have my deep well sockets with me to pull the plugs on that jeep. Did you get the water out of the jeep?

It also amazes me that almost every time I go out on an easy run, there is a quad issue. On the way down and out, we met up with mountain rescue that was there for a quad accident. Someone had to be air lifted off the hill. I looked in the paper this morning, but no news. I hope the individual is ok.

The best part for us was the night before, camping with the "hammers". my son loved the jiffy pop fireworks..

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I felt horrible about having to leave early, especially after finding I didn't have my deep well sockets with me to pull the plugs on that jeep. Did you get the water out of the jeep?

It also amazes me that almost every time I go out on an easy run, there is a quad issue. On the way down and out, we met up with mountain rescue that was there for a quad accident. Someone had to be air lifted off the hill. I looked in the paper this morning, but no news. I hope the individual is ok.
No worries, we ended up making another stop at one of the campsites and watched the rangers pull away and then took a couple of short side roads before getting on down.

We didn't have the 5/8 socket, but a 17mm deep well was able to get the plugs out of the wrangler. It took a fair amount of cranking to clear out the water. The distributor was dry, the air filter soaked and some water did get into the crankcase - enough to move the level on the dipstick up 1/2". The wrangler choose to go back to get out versus through the water. He was intending to drop the oil in Georgetown, so Matt lent him a wrench that fit the drain plug. I had never seen the recovery from hydro lock procedure before.

We caught a glimpse of the emergency trucks on the other side of the valley and were wondering what had brought them out.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun member

What a great weekend for Rising Sun! Two back-to-back events with good participation at both!

I want to thank everybody for their great participation yesterday! It was good to see the 6 trucks on the trail, and to keep up our relationship with the Forest Service! I think this is one of the visible times (at least with the Forest Service) that we "put our money where our mouth is" and get out and do a little hard labor for the good of the community. Volunteer Service - it does a body good! I really appreciate all the work this club has put into the community and into the upkeep of the trails we enjoy to drive/ride on!

Plus we got extra credit points for helping the hydrolocked Jeep. I think it was good for a lot of us younger/newer folk to actually see what happens when an engine ingests water (I've heard of it and know it's a real danger but had never actually seen it before).

The weather was beautiful, the comaraderie was fantastic, the scenery was great and all in all it was a wonderful day! Future plans are a new large sign somewhere else, probably on the lower road somewhere (we have the sign built from last year), possibly extricating more corrugated culvert material, more exploration and discovery of possible user-created routes that should be closed, and we still have the abandoned ATV that we should probably get a few more pieces brought out from. Hiking anyone?

BTW I was LOVING my newfound power steering! And Ricardo can attest to that! The Brahma was SO much more enjoyable to drive for the whole day when I could do one-hand lock-to-lock u-turns, and the rocks weren't catching my arm and trying to rip it off!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Looks like a good fun productive day. I on the other hand did not have a productive day, having locked my self out of the apartment mid day...

Thanks everyone for making a good showing

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

Although LargerOne and I left after lunch, we had a little trail drama of our own. We got to the trailhead and unloaded that big culvert deal only to find that LargerOne's power steering hose was leaking fluid, and lots of it. Then we looked at each other with that quizzical look one gives in these types of situations that says, I sure hope you're a good mechanic, cause I ain't (at least that was my thinking) Needless to say, we diagnosed the problem, removed the hose to find it completely dry-rotted and then, as fate would have it, Paul had a roll of some wonder tape he won at one of the previous raffles. The packaging said it was self sealing, self healing and all kinds of other claims. We wrapped it around the hose, hooked the hose back up, filled the reservoir and damn if it didn't work. So, always save those little raffle prizes you win at the meetings, you never know when it might come in handy. Plus, it sure felt good as a novice wrencher to actually troubleshoot a problem, find a cure, fix it on the trail and have it work.

We too saw all the emergency vehicles head up the trail. We heard the ATV person was found by the rangers we were with, so I assume when they left us they stumbled on something ugly shortly thereafter.

As everyone else has commented, it was a great day of picking up trash, wheeling a nice, easy trail and haivng fun with a great group of people.

Thanks Matt for organizing.
TLCA#11073
Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
BTW I was LOVING my newfound power steering! And Ricardo can attest to that! The Brahma was SO much more enjoyable to drive for the whole day when I could do one-hand lock-to-lock u-turns, and the rocks weren't catching my arm and trying to rip it off!
For sure, you can even see that power steering makes it look better.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm horrible with names but I spotted the guy with the Grey stock 60 today off Federal and like 18th by the A&W/KFC in his 60 I drove past in the Durango saying HEY I KNOW THAT GUY..

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car