Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Poser fun since I'm not in Moab and I suck...

Ok, WAAAY slow here now for us "unfortunates"....so with the ongoing debate on Flex of the 80 series...I'm going to "attempt" to document the changes from

4" lift stock arms/sway bar drops
4" lift Slee arms/sway bar drops coming in next week, (moab )
4" lift Slee arms no sway bars
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride

Last edited by FJBen; 05-15-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default The updates...

Posuer flex pics....I understand this isn't anything other than a "static" figure to use a ramp. It won't compress the front so more flex is there. Just mildly comparing a few different setups. I'll pull the front Swaybar tonight, and possibly put a hitch pin in the front control arm bolt.

All are done in normal "Drive" (not 4 low) and unlocked....I stop at the point of a wheelspin.

Stock attempt: stock suspension, 285's

2nd Attempt 4" lift, 35" Trxxus, no caster correction, no rear swaybar, front swaybar spacer

3rd Attempt 4" lift, 35" Trxxus Slee Arms, no rear swaybar, front swaybar spacer

TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So what difference do you notice, switching to Christo's arms?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
So what difference do you notice, switching to Christo's arms?
I notice a MUCH more controlled ride in every instance. When I used to do a hard stop she would begin to dart a little to much for my liking. Or in lane changes at freeway speed she would dart again...not real fun at 80mph...

that has stopped now, straight driving, straight stopping. I'm going to go in and allign it prolly this week so I'll find out the caster readings from there. So far very pleased!
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well that sounds good, but a lot like what you'd experience when correcting the castor, right? Not necessarily a difference between Slee's arms, Slee's caster plates, or OME bushings, or Green Machine's patented cut & weld method, etc. All accomplish the same main objective (rotate the axle to correct steering angle) but I'm curious about the performance difference between the competing solutions.

Anyway, are you going to be at the next meeitng? I'd like to take a good look at your setup.. I'm sure Romer does too .

Glad to see another 80 being built up in the club!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
Well that sounds good, but a lot like what you'd experience when correcting the castor, right? Not necessarily a difference between Slee's arms, Slee's caster plates, or OME bushings, or Green Machine's patented cut & weld method, etc. All accomplish the same main objective (rotate the axle to correct steering angle) but I'm curious about the performance difference between the competing solutions.

Anyway, are you going to be at the next meeitng? I'd like to take a good look at your setup.. I'm sure Romer does too .

Glad to see another 80 being built up in the club!
It's exactly what it's idea is supposed to be. Those methods all are doing the same thing basically in different terms of correction. Factory Spec is 2-4 on caster. So at the minimum I was out 5*

My caster was at -2.8 after the lift.

OME bushings only correct for 2* degrees of caster...I'd still be negative.

Caster plates correct around 5* which puts me at the bottom end and possibly in the vibration zone and in the need for a DC driveshaft ( as Slee has noted many have gone this route, others haven't needed to) vehicle specific.

Caster arms correct around 10* which puts me OVER the caster spec...but currently I have no or extremely minimal vibes ( i can't tell if it's tires or d-shaft, feels the same as before) with the stock driveshaft.

I'll need to measure the caster to get the correct readings, but I imagine I'm a bit on the high side. The change in flex between the two is completely neglidgeable...it seemed to me it went *slightly* higher...although I know thats not because of the arms. There is also the possiblity of moving up to the 6" lift *SOMEDAY* which would already have my caster happy.

So far I'm very happy with the setup...I think the initial "Trail run shakedown" will be in two weeks. When you step up to the 4" range...your options are caster plates OR the arms.

When you correct the caster with the plates/arms it rotates the axle and the spring straightens out. It gave another 1/4" of lift. Currently I'm completely level at 24 1/4" from center of hub to bottom of flare on both front and back.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride