Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Great Blog! Whole trip sounded awesome as usual!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun member

To add a little bit to the "other" group taking the "shortcut" to Middle Quartz:

The trip was going well for the better part of an hour. I wouldn't call this route a shortcut, but I would call it a scenic route. It was going up through a safari-like grassy fields and meadows, up through some trees with some babbling brooks, and was just pretty in general. We were following the maps and GPS fine but we got to a point where loggers had altered/created trails and carsonite was missing at some intersections. The area didn't quite match what my map (National Geographic) showed as far as trail intersections were concerned, and the GPS wasn't helping very much either. So we decided to try and take the left fork, which should have circumvented the knob of the hill we were trying to go over and then zigzag back down the other side to the Middle Quartz campground. Well it didn't. It took us WAY left and ended up pointing us back down towards the valley from whence we had come. Finally we got to an intersection that was numbered, but I couldn't find the numbers on my map. Tim Nakari pulled out his Gazetteer and when we looked at the trails (at a much smaller scale than I would normally try to navigate by) we thought we were at such-and-such an intersection that would take us down to our desination. We started that way and came to another intersection that again had poor signage. We went left and down and ended up at a closed gate . Before we had a chance to turn around, an ATV came up from the other side of the gate and we discussed briefly where he thought he was and compared it to where we thought we were. We were still on the east side of Waunita Pass, it was discovered, and so we had to go back up to the last intersection where we had gone left, as we should have continued straight instead of turning. After a few minutes of going through the woods we came out at Waunita Pass and continued down to Pitkin.

I felt bad about the whole thing for a couple reasons:
1. I was the "leader" of the group and ended up getting us lost. I wasn't diligent with my mapping skills and didn't completely adhere to the rules you are supposed to use when navigating with a map. I think there were times I was trying to fit the terrain to where I thought I was on the map rather than let the terrain tell me where I was on the map. I also didn't use a compass like I should have to orient myself and make sure we were travelling in the right direction.
2. I also didn't have a complete map of the area; the trail we were supposed to go on was JUST on the edge of the map I had and by the time we got lost we were off of my maps so I was useless.
3. I didn't want to trust the GPS units in some of the other vehicles; because we were pretty far off of a paved road I didn't think the GPS had any idea where we were. I still think the GPS units were wrong in a couple instances, but I should have been more willing to stop and try to match what they were saying up with what the map said so that we could use two tools instead of one.

So I apologize to those who were there and had to put up with me and my stubbornness and then ended up bailing us out of the situation. While it wasn't critical at any point (we weren't low on fuel, have an injured person with us, low on food, we knew how to go back the way we came etc.) it was a wake-up call to me that it's been a few years since boy scouts and I haven't been keeping in good practice with orienteering and I need to brush up on it some more. That and maybe get a GPS unit (which I've been wanting to do anyway), learn how it works, and learn how to use it in parallel with the maps.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Matt, I think we all went into it knowing what we were getting into. It was an adventure.. that's what it was supposed to be
82 FJ40
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Hey Matt, I think we all went into it knowing what we were getting into. It was an adventure.. that's what it was supposed to be
x2 - The scenery was amazing and well worth the detour ...Next year we'll have to try going to the right at the logging area and see where that takes us.

Personally it was a lot of fun for me because that is how I use to "wheel" in the old days....Just drive until I found a side road and head off on it to see where it took me

Although next year I think I'll bring some trimming shears or something to cut back the growth...The new pinstriping doesn't look so great on a Lexus
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah same here, I thought the adventure was a lot of fun- we always run trails where we know where we're going, it's fun to get a little lost every now and again and have to figure your way out of it-

I think next time we should just go right instead of left way at the start of the trail.. the first decision we made. Would have put us right of that whole logging mess altogether and closer to Middle Quartz instead of back towards Waunita pass.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default It was a blast!

x4 - I had a great time, got to spend more time talking to Perry and saw some great country. You certainly do not need to apologize!

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Matt, like others have said, dont stress. It was a great adventure and I can now cross of the list of coming to one of those gates you can get to from either end.

To be honest, i'm starting to think we made a wrong right (should have gone left at one of those intersections) hand turn higher up, but who am I kidding, last time I was on this trail it was 2am and I was riding passanger for Neil.

The trail was awesome, company spectacular, and just a grand ol time. And by the time we got to camp, the food was cookin

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"