Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Notices

Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
great day, minus the frame crack, and loss of rear brakes for the joyous ride home in the rain all the way from the tunnel
Ouch Steve, that is a bummer. I read UB's post on welding the frame crack, hopefully this is easy/straight forward to do. Do you know what the issue is with the rear brakes or was it related to the frame crack?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
I had a great time. Isac and I were playing with the big tire folks.
Way to go guys. We basically have to get drug across French creek with our 33's.

Looks like you guys had a great run.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ige, thanks for the video!

man...Looking at those pictures and the video, it looks so pathetic that I didn't drive through it. It just didn't feel right....Ah well...Learn something every trip I guess.

What hasn't been brought up is the night run......

UB, Trev (isotel), and another cool cat from CLC headed up to the creek at about 11:45pm....Oh yeah...

I rode in Wild Rice, and Ige rode with Trevor.

It was simply amazing...WR and the other trucks BAJAed!!! the whole trail....I think we were up to the cut out in 10 minutes or perhaps 15...it was fast.

Got up to the wall in an equally short amount of time. The Wall proved troublesome for all rigs. It was dark and the lines just weren't happening. It was still VERY impressive.

Then French Creek. WR didn't waste any time attacking the biggest lines out there. After some SICK climbs, WR just couldn't stay out of a huge hole. Kevin decided to pull the winch after we were WAAAYYYY far over. I thought we were going to roll long before, but nope, WR is as stable as they come. Given the time, UB made a good choice. We pulled the string, and away we went.

On the way back down, we BAJA'd again. The best part was when WR took the one way section back, and Trevor took the cut out. WR beat them down by about 2,3 minutes. It was a full throttle, high range assault and WR was AMAZING!!

I must say that WR is an INCREDIBLE machine. I was amazed at the way everything works together to make the whole rig climb and ride like a dream. I can't say enough good things.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ugh...The more I look at that video, the more I feel like a wiener That thing wasn't tipped that far at all.

Huge thanks to Gary and Jeremy for the help on that section, it was much appreciated. I'd kept the crowd waiting long enough.

Jeremy, again, the mini is amazing...I love how capable it is. Great work!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I know there were some people that pics of me at Cleveland Rock while I attempted a futile line. In the process I did a what seemed a pretty tall wheel stand. If any of you could send me those pictures I would really appreciate it.

You can send them to trompies@gmail.com Full size please if you could would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

lots of fun Thankfully we were one of the first up, so not too much waiting. We were able to get up to Cleveland no problem, and really not much waiting to get back down either, considering how many showed up behind us. Sure did have a good time guys, nice to put some faces with names and wheeled with many of you for the first time

Oh and Kevin you missed a great run up Carnage yesterday, slippery, perfect weather, and not a soul on the trail. You would've got your grin back

Jeremy
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Ouch Steve, that is a bummer. I read UB's post on welding the frame crack, hopefully this is easy/straight forward to do. Do you know what the issue is with the rear brakes or was it related to the frame crack?

Brake issue was unrelated. Had a leak in the line that ran from the reservoir to a position on the inner fender well. We crimped the line before the leak with vice grips(2), filled the reservoir back up and drove it home with front brakes only. The fix held great and I think I only had to use the brake maybe 5 times from Vail back to the Ranch. The worst part of the drive was wiping the fogged up inside windshield with napkins every 1/2 mile or so from the tunnel back to the house....I was very happy to make it home that night without incident!!!!

______
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
for those not on facebook, here's the video to go with isaaks pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2rR3waQ2A0
Awesome - got any more?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Isaac, I'd say id was getting tippy enough for me to hesitate!
82 FJ40
Old 09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
lots of fun Thankfully we were one of the first up, so not too much waiting. We were able to get up to Cleveland no problem, and really not much waiting to get back down either, considering how many showed up behind us. Sure did have a good time guys, nice to put some faces with names and wheeled with many of you for the first time

Oh and Kevin you missed a great run up Carnage yesterday, slippery, perfect weather, and not a soul on the trail. You would've got your grin back

Jeremy
I don't want to hear it! I got home, wife was surprised to see me and fully expected me to be home Sunday late. I told her of your tempting invite and she couldn't believe I didn't do it. Think everyone is getting tired of my frown including me. I am sporting a grin from HC as I had a great time. Jeremy your junk is incredible and it was a kick to play follow the leader!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior