Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun member

what a 40s Only Run to miss!

Wish I didn't have jet lag and a whole host of post-honeymoon duties to attend to right away! That looks like SO MUCH FUN!

So you guys went up Georgia Pass, down to Breck, then back over Boreas Pass? Where did you hit the snow and was it tough to break through it?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Wincher

Guys...
It was great fun!!! I really enjoyed the day, in the first 2 minutes of getting to the parking lot, I already was fixing up my FJ...(carb hose in the wrong spot) fixed by the suggestion of "RicardoJM"...after all the fun, it was a long drive back to the Springs, but very rewarding knowing the maiden run of my FJ was flawless...(except for the little tow before reaching the top of the pass)...guess that little joke I made a few posts ago about bringing my chains...was a bit ironic...So here is one of the pics for ya....
Attached Images

K0RUI
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Had a great time on my first 40 run! I'm soooo glad I got it I picked up Bruce here in Boulder at 7:15 yesterday morning and an hour or so later we rolled in to Conifer. The carb rebuild and rerouting of vacuum lines kept it running smoothly the whole way! I was pretty stoked!

It was great to see all of the trucks gathering there in conifer and I had a great opportinty to look at several later model trucks to look at windshield frames and front ends. (my camera was dead so I had to use Bruce's to take pics) Treeroot... you were absolutely correct... the differences you spoke of were definitely evident. Auri and Ron with their blue '82 from Colo Springs with the factory hard top parked next to me so that was neat... they wouldn't give in to my pleas to trade all of my early model parts for their '82 stuff.

After chit chatting for a little while we made our way up to the air down spot. Timm caught up in his freshly running 40 soon after we all arrived. It was great to see him make it since he worked so hard to get the truck running over the past few weeks.

I threw the keys to Bruce and we all took off up to Georga pass. With a brief stop at the top, we made our way down to Tider Road. The 40 continued to do well, and my confidence was building. Bruce had a blast driving and I had an equally fun time riding along. The trail headed up and over Georga pass was not too bad with some slush only in a few spots. Enough slippery to make it a little bit interesting though.

Once down at Tiger Road, we headed up the North Fork to try and make a loop out of it with the Middle Fork. Heading up the North fork we all had to pull over for a bit to let some camper trailers by, when we did that Timm's 40 didn't want to start back up again. after checking it out fussing with it for a bit it fired right back up. Timm, Ty, and friend peeled off there and headed back while we continued on the trail to eat lunch at the creek crossing.

After the creek crossing the trail started to get a bit snowier and added to the challenge of making up the steeper trail. Bruce continued to drive and we slowly crawled up to just over tree line where we all got out to watch Martin who was up in front start to break trail through a deeper section of snow. I eagerly awaited our turn, and when we made it to the intersection of the turn off to the top of Wise Mountain I jumped at the chance to break the trail towards the cabin. With Steve and Michele laughing behind me I slowly broke the trail reluctant to give up! It only took a little bit of motivation from Michele to keep me at it and soon we made it to the cabin which was ultimately our turn around spot. I was really really happy that the truck did so well since I kinda beat on it making my way through the snow. Steve, you guys will have to wait your turn for the real snow on the real snow run

Anyways, at the top we all hung out and got to watch a few folks make it all the way to the top, Justin made it up in his black 40 with the V8 and no fan/water pump belt. It was loose and I guess slung off... anyways the guage was at 300 when he peeked in there so we quickly threw the belt back on and fired it up to let itself cool off.

We all decided to make our way back down and gathered back at the lunch spot to laugh and share stories from what had turned out to be a great day already. Lots of smiles and laughs which were great to see

After socializing for a bit we headed back down to tiger road where the group split up. some folks headed to I-70, some back towards Fairplay, and some over Boreas Pass. Bruce and I were gonna head over Boreas, but decided to just take 70 home since we were both kinda done. Quoting Bruce "That steering wheel is not near as nice as the leather wrapped one in the 80!". I think power steereing just got higher on the list...

Anyways, we chatted the whole way back about how fun it was to the point that my voice got hoarse.

Thanks everybody for coming, and thanks Martin for putting it together! I had a great time, and it was great to see all the trucks together!
82 FJ40
Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

I don't have any pics, but luckily I had Perry riding shotgun most of the day, so hopefully he'll share a few.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. We had a great crew. I apologize I didn't get a chance to talk with everyone, it was a big group and I was feeling pretty overwhelmed leading a big group on a trail I have never run myself. My pre-run was denied by the weather last week.

I would like to get everyones name and rig info, if possible for a Toyota Trails article.

I think everyone showed up except for Zepp and Cardinal. What happened to you guys?

The plan was to go up and over Georgia Pass, down the South Fork, then loop the North and Middle Fork, back down to Breck via Tiger Rd, then over Boreas Pass back to 285. Well, we hit snow heading down the North Fork trail and only made it as far as Wise Mtn. The snow was very wet and heavy and seemed to have filled in the trail even though it was mostly melted off everywhere else. The trail up near Wise Mtn had a couple of feet of cement-like snow which I did my best busting through so that the group could continue up and get turned around. Some of us had fun busting the drifts and the views were great up top. I was really bummed that the whole crew didn't make it up to the top and that we were denied the loop. But it was still a fun day.

The only mechanical issues were Timm's new 40 not starting once (I didn't even get a chance to check out your new rig!), Justin's threw a belt and overheated, Dave's lost vacuum to his TC so he had no 4wd temporarily, and Ken's smog pump seized. Everything was fixed on trail with the help and knowledge of those in attendance. It wouldn't be a 40's Run without some wrenching.

Next year I'll plan on doing the run a little earlier to avoid the snow and I'll make sure to do a trail I've pre-run.
KDGWM
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Wincher

Heres another...
Attached Images

K0RUI
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Rock Stacker

I don't know about the rest of the group but I slept HARD last night, I was beat.
Martin, thanks for organizing the run and being a first rate tour guide. This trip was just what I needed to get my 40 back on and off road again.
It was great to meet everyone and see the variety in their rigs, from bone stock to over the top. Seeing them all brought back many of my old 40 memories, even back to my Dad's 40 that he bought new in 71 from Burt Toyota.
Thanks again for the opportunity to join in the fun, I had an absolute blast. I think we all did.
Steve
Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post

With Steve and Michele laughing behind me I slowly broke the trail reluctant to give up! It only took a little bit of motivation from Michele to keep me at it and soon we made it to the cabin which was ultimately our turn around spot. I was really really happy that the truck did so well since I kinda beat on it making my way through the snow. Steve, you guys will have to wait your turn for the real snow on the real snow run
Marco,

The whole time Michele was motivational speaking via CB I was thinking of the following Ludacris song, PG version of coarse!

"Move, get out the way
Get out the way, get out the way
Move, get out the way
Get out the way, get out the way"

Patience is a virtue, just one I do not possess.

Great wheeling with you as always....missed Allison and Mead though!

______
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA FJ40 View Post
Heres another...
Ron,

Your camera takes the best pictures!

Looks like Ken will be on another TT cover

______
Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Rock Stacker

Default 40's run

Hey guys Paul & I wanted to thank you again for an excellent run and a great day. It was great seeing that many 40's all at one time!
Attached Images

Last edited by toplessfj; 09-27-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Ron,

Your camera takes the best pictures!

Looks like Ken will be on another TT cover
Not if he shows up on another public web page! Todd will not use pictures already posted to the public web!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior