Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
what about your website bro? We have a dead link on your Ad.
I've been working on a new one, but been having trouble uploading it from Macromedia to Hostway.... Plus i'd still like to find a good photogallery for the images.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

at least put something up.. blank page is no good.
TLCA#4180
Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back it? Did you try pounding on the keyboard with both fists? Swearing loudly while shaking the monitor?
That's what my Project Manger does all day long before he starts throwing things down the hallway.
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 11-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Didja hear? Widows 7 is here....It's not gonna have any of the problems that windows 2 had. Trust me.

(I don't even remember widows 2. Had to wikipedia it to remind myself what the screen shots looked like)
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Actually in testing Windows 7, the techs here have found very few issues. It really is better, and encapsulates legacy programs in a VM-like XP environment. Or so it was told me. We will probably go from XP Pro direct to 7. On what ain't Linux anyway.

Windows Vista... not so much. It was responsible, however, for significant sales of XP and XP Pro however.

I had a friend who had a shrinkwrapped box of Windows 286 (prior to 3.10). Best kept that way. Amusingly unstable according to him. Probably will be worth a mint someday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2.1x

My first PC (former Mac guy) was a 486 with 1M of memory and 3.11 IIRC. Wow was I in heaven.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

OBTW, I found the Dell at home would not boot for my wife yesterday. Did a nice job of making the on/off switch blink yellow though, indicating a power issue. Dang. Hadn't even gotten around to putting in the new motherboard.

Called Dell about the power supply issue, to go along with the motherboard issue. The fella wanted me to go ahead and install the replacement motherboard they sent me. Ooooookay... I was kinda thinking I would preserve it from a miscreant power supply, but I took the time to do it.

Pretty cool heatsink for the processor. I think you 40 guys could solve some overheating issues with it.

Now it does nothing at all. No blinking power switch, nuttin'.

The Dell tech will come to my home Friday or Monday, power supply and motherboard in hand. Gratis.

I'll let him screw around with it this time.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I never used Windows until 3.1, if I recall correctly. That worked pretty well. Windows 95 was such a substantial upgrade -- it was huge!
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Windows 3.1 was, IMO, where Microsoft earned its bad reputation. Anyone remember GPFs? One error fits all. 3.1 was extremely unstable.

The problem with 3.1 was it was nearly impossible to write a Windowing application with a 16-bit OS. Just not enough addressable memory space. The gyrations programmers had to go through were incredible. Plus, one stray memory reference (bug) could bring the whole thing down because of an extremely outdated memory model. All this while 32-bit parts with onboard MMUs had been out for a decade.

Macs were just humming along with a 32-bit OS and nice clean API. Virtual process spaces and apps were no longer bringing the whole system down.

Win95 brought a 32-bit OS and emulated in a VM the 16-bit apps. Very important for Microsoft to bridge that chasm. And to earn the Win95 sticker, software had to be written to the new 32-bit API. And so it went, the empire was saved.

The real horror was that progress was severely retarded those 10 years while h/w was not being utilized and robust apps were just a pipe dream.

Last edited by pmccumber; 11-19-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo