Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Question for y'all on part-time/full-time 4WD

I have been looking at getting a 98-99 4Runner. I'll use it for light offroading, but also for getting around town in bad weather. I noticed that full-time 4WD is apparently standard on the 1999+ Limited trim 4Runners. These seem to be pretty rare on the used market.

So I guess my question has a few different angles: Is it worth trying to find a 99 Ltd, and probably paying a bit of a premium for it? How do you drive your part-time 4WD vehicles around town in bad weather--especially like we've had for the past few days with patches of snow/ice and patches of dry pavement?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had a full time 4wd and it sucked...but then again it was a ford
Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Works rather well on my wife's '01 Limited. It comes with traction control which makes it work well. Do be aware that traction control (which works pretty DARN well) adds complexity (take a look at the Medusa... er, brake master cylinder). It also means you will be in the full time 4WD lane at the emissions place, despite being able to turn off AWD.

Turn on the center diff lock and you have classic 4x4. So basically you have all options. For light offroading and around town it would be a fine choice (be aware that, to my eyes at least, the LTDs sit a bit lower for whatever reason - fairly ea$y to rectify).

I did wheel with a fella in a Limited and was rather impressed with the traction control effectiveness on Spring Creek, a somewhat challenging trail for a stocker.

It would not be all that much better, though, compared to a 98 with an elocker in the rear.

Compared to an unlocked 98, however, it would be very superior. Also be aware that AFAIK 99+ will mean automatic, not 5 speed (that might be '00+). If that floats your boat, it can work as a virtual crawler, and you can drink coffee while driving around town. There's two plus points. The slush box behind the 3.4 is far, far superior to the combination with an old 3.0 or even the newer 2.7. FAR superior.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Pretty sure the full time 4WD on the 3rd gen 4Runner is selectable and not always on like the newer Cruisers and current V8 4Runner.

There should be a 2WD, Auto, High and Low range select. With the transfer case shifter stick in the upper left location the truck is in 2WD. Push the button on the side of the shifter to get full time 4WD, pavement safe because it has a center diff. Stick in the lower left is 4WD high, locked center diff. Stick in the lower right is neutral and upper right is 4WD low, locked center diff.

The 4Runner we sold this summer was a 2005 with a V6 that worked this way (no stick, a dashboard dial) and it did make commuting on snow packed roads a lot less work. No jockeying with the transfer case into and out of 4WD. I see full time 4WD as a selling point on a car that's driven mostly for skiing, going to work, etc. On the V6 4Runners it's also selectable and that is also an advantage in that you can defeat it and be in real 2WD in the summer which saves miles on the front end and bumps your gas mileage up a bit.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks... so is it possible to find a 99+ Ltd that's equipped with the rear locker?

Driving around town in a part-time setup, do you just switch into 4WD if you see ice or something ahead? I'm coming from AWD and RWD cars, don't know how a part-time 4WD system would work in practice.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

x2 on that gen runner having SELECTABLE AWD with a center diff lock. If you want a locker you can't get the selectable AWD and visa versa. The AWD started in 1999 and the lockers ended in 2000, so yes you can find '99s with lockers (my '99 had it). 1999-2000 is my personal choice for that Gen 4Runner.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Thanks... so is it possible to find a 99+ Ltd that's equipped with the rear locker?

Driving around town in a part-time setup, do you just switch into 4WD if you see ice or something ahead? I'm coming from AWD and RWD cars, don't know how a part-time 4WD system would work in practice.
AFAIK the Limited has selectable AWD and traction control, no locker.

And yes, that is pretty much how you would do it. Until the going gets rough the traction control pretty much handles it, in AWD. Getting rough? Punch the center lock switch. Now you are true 4x4.

FWIW on ice, IMHO AWD with traction control would be safer than true 4x4. Having both ends tied together with no differential action can actually break you loose.

Ask Squishy.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Rock Stacker

Will the 99+ Limited have the open diff wheelspin limited by the traction control, say in a situation with one wheel off the ground?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Trail Ready

I wish I had a center diff...

Nah, I guess I really don't need one!

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.