Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Default V8 Exhaust Options

I'm done with my suspension/tires upgrade and next on the list is rerouting the dual exhaust setup. I've got a 350 V8 with ram horn exahaust manifolds. I want to go inside the frame rails and exit behind the rear tires and the spring shackle. I would not be against going into one muffler and tail pipe too. Any ideas or pictures would be greatly apprieciated. Doug
Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun member

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...-thread-6.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...0-exhaust.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=vee

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...-got-done.html
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Let me know what route you take. Because I've also got a 350 in a 40 and need to run true duels. I'd be interested to see what route you chose.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

I did not click the links Matt posted but I would run your passenger side under the SBC oil pan (assuming engine placement will allow) and link both sides with y-pipe then route out the rear with 2.5"
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I did not click the links Matt posted but I would run your passenger side under the SBC oil pan (assuming engine placement will allow) and link both sides with y-pipe then route out the rear with 2.5"
X2...........my 40 has dual exhaust that routes as Corbet mentions and terminates in the rear wheel wells. I am out of town at the moment but I can take pics and post up where the work was done when I return later in the week.

97 LX450
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Looks like the "Walker Pipe" is a common method of routing the passenger side exhaust under the oil pan and tie into the drivers side pipe.

FJ Bradley, a couple pictures would be great. I plan to take them to my muffler shop for some visual aids.

My only concern is the exhaust heat under the oil pan. Would you suggest a heat shield or not worry about it?

Thanks. Doug
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Rising Sun member

I don't know what the issue is with running the exhaust straight back from the passenger side bank, maybe the frame gets in the way, or possibly the front driveshaft/t-case? But yes it seems that a lot of people cross it under the oil pan. A couple people put up some heat shields, others didn't seem to worry about it. Just make sure you can get to your drain plug and oil filter!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I don't know what the issue is with running the exhaust straight back from the passenger side bank, maybe the frame gets in the way, or possibly the front driveshaft/t-case? But yes it seems that a lot of people cross it under the oil pan. A couple people put up some heat shields, others didn't seem to worry about it. Just make sure you can get to your drain plug and oil filter!
The transfercase takes up every square inch of room on that side. Not even a 1/4" of clearance. You could go under it but why!! That's the new lowest point then. Ya can exit right off the ram horn out to the outside of the frame but it makes for a really tight bend. Going under the oil pan is the eaisest way to route but can cause extra heat. Just make sure it dosent block your oil filter (FJbrady had that issue) and either make sure it's low enough to remove the oil pan or make that section with a flange in order to remove the cross over. To access the oilpan removal. (think ahead). I'm probelly going to go the route that bruiser did. But under the frame Between the leaf mounts with block huggers and run the pashenger side out side the frame and notch the body mount for clearance. (less pipe, and un-restricted access to the oil pan w/ no heat issues)
Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

From the pictures on MUD it looked like the "walker pipe" blocked the oil filter? I used a flowMaster y-pipe when we built the exhaust on my 60. We stacked them vertically and then sent the single tube to a muffler and I dump straight down towards the ground directly behind the rear axle. I did have a little more room with a 60 as the frame rails are what 3" further apart?

My only mistake was giving the oil pan too much clearance and I had to drop my bump stops and inch to keep my front diff from contacting the cross over.

And as Tim said going back passenger side is not possible above and between the frame rails from memory. Either cross under the oil pan or go outside the frame rails.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Here you go....everything is high and tight along the drivers side. The oil filter is 6 inches or so above the twin pipes right next to the drain plug. Man I made a mess the last oil change...........the spill oil burns off the pipes within a couple miles.
Attached Images

97 LX450