Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default OK, you FJ lunkers...

I have a question. I am currently running an FJ80 pitman arm, cut down and tapered for FJ80 TRE by Brian Ellinger. This was to solve a problem with a forward axle placement, leading to lightly smacking the TRE with the tire rod on full compression. This pitman is shorter than stock (leading to slower steering, not necessarily a bad thing on a lifted vehicle) but more importantly it angles the TRE *away* from the tie rod. In fact I could move the axle another 1" forward if madness struck.

THe downside is, I recently discovered the shorter-than-stock pitman does not throw the drag link sufficiently to get full lock steering. I really need a longer pitman. But it has to angle the TRE away from the tie rod.

So, as you contemplate your FJs of various flavors, do you recall if yours has such a pitman? The ideal pitman would have about a 1" to 1.5" drop or so, and the TRE taper would angle toward the steering box shaft rather than parallel it. In other words, such that an imaginary axial line through the steering shaft would intersect an axial line through the TRE taper about 1-2ft. below the pitman or so.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Wincher

Send a message via AIM to Cheese

Have you taken a look at the Poly Performance arms?

I have a 3/4" flatter one with no issues at full stuff. Axle is forward ~2" but that usually matters little. The box is in the stock location.

I would imagine they could custom machine one too. They knock them out quick.

"There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is longing for leaving..."

www.sleeoffroad.com
www.sonoransteel.com
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yo, Adrian! So we have a Cheese and a Cheeseman. Cool.

I did see that in a Google. It still has the TRE taper axial parallel to the spline axial, don't know why everyone does that. Sky sells what appears to be the identical part $10 cheaper, but then, it's Sky. There's a whole conversation in that clause.

Can you shoot a pic of yours at full stuff? A shot with a tape measure from the steering box shaft to the tie rod at full stuff, showing the arm, would be most excellent and will earn you a beer at my expense if you want to come to the next club meeting July 5.

I'd like to gauge the margin of error before dropping a C note. My axle is even more forward than that, I'd guess about 3".
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.