Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Lifted

I had an issue with using a sandstone color grout and then having to do sheetrock repair in the room. Needless to say, the gypsum got into the grout lines and made them "whiteish" as the says. I ended up using a grout color pen, and then resealed. Held up since, been 13 months.

Agreed on the seal once, wait about a week, seal again. I sealed the charcoal grout on my countertops 4 times. Only a 16th inch line too.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Wincher

World of Tile has been my choice of finding good prices on discontinued runs. These prices are negotiable so I would keep that in mind especially if they're trying to get rid of it. Secondly, it's been my experience that materials such as underlayment (backer board, grout, screws for the backer board you really can't beat a Home Depot or Lowe's.

Finally my Father-in-Law does small jobs for Service Magic on tile work, Send me a PM if you're interested in having him look at your project.

Regards, Randy
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did my own tile (over 1000 SF) at our condo and found "Tile for Less" (Aurora on the service road of 225 b/w Mississippi & Iliff) to have some of the best prices. I bought porceline (sp?) tile which is VERY hard and holds up well to the beating it gets from renters at the condo. It looks really nice as well, almost as good as the natural stone. Natural stone looks the best (travertine, etc), but porceline takes a beating. I think the difference b/w porceline and ceramic is the difference in temp that it is fired at...porceline is REALLY HARD. I've dropped pans on it at the condo which would have cracked ceramic, and it didn't do any damage. I can also say that it cuts a little slower than the ceramic work I've done on a few bathrooms.

As for the grout color, I would go as dark as the tile colors will allow. The tile looks good for a long time...the grout is the thing that usually makes a tile floor start looking ugly. I have found that a darker brown, not black or really dark, makes the best color for floors. If you can find a tile that has some shades that allow the dark brown tile, then it works well.

Here are some pics of the porcelin tile I used.
Name:  MasterBathWebPic.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  GuestBathWebPic.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  32.8 KB
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

My current supplier is:

Connie Chavez
Total Floors, Inc.
640 W. Tennessee Ave.
Denver, CO 80223
Cell: (303) 718-3349
Fax: (303) 722-5913
connie@totalfloors.biz

My installer is David Martinez - he has not finished yet but we checked him out thoroughly enough to hire him. I'll PM his number since its his cell.

I can give you more Tuesday, I have a friend's wedding to go to.