Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Continental is the only brand I don't have experience with from the 3 above. With the 70 dollar rebate the Michelin's look pretty good.
Our car had Continentals on it when we bought it. Sorry that I don't remember which ones, though. But they may have been the original set put on in Wolfsburg because the sidewall information was in German. That means they went almost 70K miles, which is pretty ridiculous for the OE tires from my experience. However you'll note that I did not put another set of Conti tires on it, hard to find good reviews of them. OTOH I love their tires on my bike. Shrug.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. At least for my dad's care I've narrowed it down to three:
  1. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, ~134/tire
  2. BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S H&V ~100/Tire
  3. Continental ContiProContact ~100/Tire

Tirerack.com usually has some helpful reviews...One thing I like is that you can filter the reviews and often find people running the tire you are looking at on the same vehicle you'll be running them on. IMO that is helpful because I'm a firm believer that some tires work great on one vehicle and work like crap on another. Case in point the GY Wrangler RSAs. I had those on my Durango and they absolutely sucked on wet/snow/ice from day 1 whether in RWD, AWD, or 4WD. We're running a fairly worn down set on the 80 and they work fine ...I still wouldn't buy them again but I really expected them to suck based on my previous real world experience with them.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
... That means they went almost 70K miles, which is pretty ridiculous for the OE tires from my experience. ....OTOH I love their tires on my bike. Shrug.
That is crazy, I got barley 20k out of the Goodyear eagle's that were OE on my mazda. I too have wondered about the comparison of bike to car tires in terms of quality. Though I am pretty sure that some Maxxis tires on the mazda might be overkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Tirerack.com usually has some helpful reviews...One thing I like is that you can filter the reviews and often find people running the tire you are looking at on the same vehicle you'll be running them on. IMO that is helpful because I'm a firm believer that some tires work great on one vehicle and work like crap on another. Case in point the GY Wrangler RSAs. I had those on my Durango and they absolutely sucked on wet/snow/ice from day 1 whether in RWD, AWD, or 4WD. We're running a fairly worn down set on the 80 and they work fine ...I still wouldn't buy them again but I really expected them to suck based on my previous real world experience with them.
Yep I did poke around on tire rack a bit, and the Michelin's did pretty well, both in the review's and the "tests". Actually all of them did pretty good. I'll have to search and see if I can find someone with the same vehicle. Never knew the filter by vehicle option was on the review page. Now if only there was an option to filter out responses that are all in caps or = "These tires are awesome/junk".