Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Golden Spike
Metal Masher
Fins - Unless Greg doesn't need me to lead Fins then I'll switch to someting else
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hells or Fins (been a while)
Markofsky Adventure Day ("Go MAD") - two or three others welcome - last year was dunes. This year, not sure yet.
Wipe Out Hill (how will we top years past??)
Sunday - Kokopelli home would be fun.... otherwise I'm sure Perry & I will put something together for the route home. Book cliffs last year were great. In earlier years it was LaSals and Yellowcake Flats.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Poison Spider,Finns, Moab Rim
Old 01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Rock Stacker

Question

We're signed up for the:

- Swell overnight run
- Gold Bar Rim
- Elephant Hill

Will the Gold Bar Rim and Elephant Hill imperil the rocker panels of a stock locked 80 on 33" tires with an experienced driver at the wheel? After reading the trail description on the CM website, we felt safe selecting those, but as I read the Charles Wells guide to Moab trails this morning, I'm a touch concerned. Here are the passages that piqued my curiosity:

Gold Bar Rim - "Many difficult ledges, esp. at the top. For modified vehicles with very high ground clearance..." (p.86).

Elephant Hill - "Tall rock ledges require high ground clearance... Skid plates are recommended. Aggressive stock vehicles can do it..." (p.203).

Our experience with the Wells Colorado trail guide has shown that he is conservative in his recommendations, so I'm not too worried, but I figure it is better to ask now and request any necessary trail assignment change earlier rather than later.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
Markofsky Adventure Day ("Go MAD")
This is a scary thought
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by psfpilot View Post
We're signed up for the:

- Swell overnight run
- Gold Bar Rim
- Elephant Hill

Will the Gold Bar Rim and Elephant Hill imperil the rocker panels of a stock locked 80 on 33" tires with an experienced driver at the wheel? After reading the trail description on the CM website, we felt safe selecting those, but as I read the Charles Wells guide to Moab trails this morning, I'm a touch concerned. Here are the passages that piqued my curiosity:

Gold Bar Rim - "Many difficult ledges, esp. at the top. For modified vehicles with very high ground clearance..." (p.86).

Elephant Hill - "Tall rock ledges require high ground clearance... Skid plates are recommended. Aggressive stock vehicles can do it..." (p.203).

Our experience with the Wells Colorado trail guide has shown that he is conservative in his recommendations, so I'm not too worried, but I figure it is better to ask now and request any necessary trail assignment change earlier rather than later.
I did E-hill last year friday by myself with the family in our stock 80. I slightly bent the pass running board on one of the ledges. I can't remember which obstacle but it wasn't the hill or the silver stairs.

I would be concerned about the final ledges on gold bar though. They are really dug out iirc coming out of spike. I hven''t been on that trail lately though.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psfpilot View Post
We're signed up for the:

- Swell overnight run
- Gold Bar Rim
- Elephant Hill

Probably get some damage without sliders on some of those ledges.
KDGWM
Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I did E-hill last year friday by myself with the family in our stock 80. I slightly bent the pass running board on one of the ledges. I can't remember which obstacle but it wasn't the hill or the silver stairs.

I would be concerned about the final ledges on gold bar though. They are really dug out iirc coming out of spike. I hven''t been on that trail lately though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Probably get some damage without sliders on some of those ledges.
I should have noted that we don't have running boards and our plan was to hike the last (worst) few ledges of gold bar to the scenic overlook. Does this plan sound mostly harmless, or should we see if it's not too late to swap for chicken corners on both days?

This will be our first CM, and as I am not familiar with the normal pacing of the conga line on a CM trail tour, I'd prefer that we not be "that guy" holding the tail-gunner up to an excessive degree while we gingerly pick our way over the sharper ledges, so any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Don't worry about being "that guy" the fact that you know that guy exists means it won't be you. I'd strongly suggest getting sliders. You won't do damage when your paying attention. It'll be the ledge you didn't see that does the damage. Be smarter than most of us and get the sliders before you hit a rocker. AMHIK. Changing trails will only postpone the inevitable crunch.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

As Farnham said, getting some sliders will give you peace of mind or sure. Otherwise, just being cautious and taking the bypasses should be fine. The two vehicles I recall getting damage on Gold Bar were myself taking an optional ledge and losing my tail lights, and a stock 60 crunching a side in an avoidable section.
KDGWM