Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Similar to Blink, it has some great observations on human trends.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Citadel is actually in North-Western Colorado! Phenomenal Elk hunting on top....too bad the perimeter is all private and access will cost you $'s!
Maybe there's two of them - this one is located right near Wolf Creek Pass, and is also called Treasure Mountain.

One of the few advantages of living in a hotel and not being allowed to work overtime...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Trail Ready

Patriots: The Men Who Started the American Revolution - A.J. Languth

Killing Rommel - Stephen Pressfield
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

A pirate looks at fifty

Suprise......suprise it is a book Jimmy Buffett wrote. His life stories and expierences, also a great deal about the history of the Keys.

Captain Tony's Life Lessons of a Legend

This book covers his whole life and it also covers the Keys with an emphesis on Key West. He has done it all in his life, from smugling drugs to being the Mayor of Key West. We were lucky enough to meet Captain Tony and share a few beers with him years ago. He told us stories that seemed to good to be true but then to read them in his book again was a great feeling.

Perry, did you see the news yesterday about these guys who hunt for meteorites? I think that is what you should do when you go on your trips. They are worth more than gold

I think they are going to cover it on HDnet or Discovery channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Oh I forgot... (no peanut gallery comments on that please )

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart. GREAT book.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Similar to Blink, it has some great observations on human trends.
That one was fun, I read it a while back and like to reference it when talking about random carpola. I dug it a lot.

I have been slack on reading lately. I read "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman" when it came out. Interesting Krakauer story on the war and how it's used as a political tool.

"Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach is also a fun one if you are interested in medicine and how the study of the human body has progressed over the years. It's one of the last ones that I read that I really liked a lot. Don't think I'm a sicko till you read it, it's not what you think. truly facinating.

the rest aren't worth noting.
82 FJ40
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

A people's history of the United States by Howard Zinn.

I'll put it this way: If you ever feel yourself getting overly patriotic, this book will be a good medicine. Down right depressing at times.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

No wonder it's depressing you.
http://hnn.us/articles/1493.html
Quote:
Who is the most influential historian in America? Could it be Pulitzer Prize winners Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. or Joseph Ellis or David McCullough, whose scholarly works have reached a broad literary public? The answer is none of the above. The accolade belongs instead to the unreconstructed, anti-American Marxist Howard Zinn, whose cartoon anti-history of the United States is still selling 128,000 copies a year twenty years after its original publication.

Ya need to read other schtuff too!

Quote:
“Objectivity is impossible,” Zinn once remarked, “and it is also undesirable. That is, if it were possible it would be undesirable, because if you have any kind of a social aim, if you think history should serve society in some way; should serve the progress of the human race; should serve justice in some way, then it requires that you make your selection on the basis of what you think will advance causes of humanity.”
That's the definition of advocacy history (and journalism too, BTW).

I do understand the value of postmodern thought in puncturing the illusion of rationalistic objectivity - such objectivity not only defies what we know about phenomenology, it goes against what quantum mechanics is discovering - but this goes waaaaaaaaay beyond that.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Go Dog Go and numerous other Dr Seuss titles

I thought your kids were older than that.......hmmmm.

But along those lines...re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to the kids. And we dabble a bit in Captain Underpants and Franny Stein, Mad Scientist.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Two books on Norman Rockwell - just finished
A Sword for Mother Nature - Terry Grosz - currently reading
No Safe Refuge - Terry Grosz - next someday
Ranches book - John Fielder
Photograhping Nature - John Fielder - currently reading
James K. Polk - The Man Who changed the Presidency and America - Walter Borneman

Oh yah, The Trailsman series, #43. Been reading this one for years.

Rockwell is the greatest and I finally understand how and why he did what he did.
Met Terry Grosz at the International Sportsmans show. A retired 30 some year federal fish and game warden. He wrote the stories of all is times, about6 various books I believe. Saw Fielder at the Bemis library a couple of Fridays ago and got him to sign all my books and bought a couple of new ones. I can never read enough on photography. But the James K. Polk book has me intrigued. He set the west to being open for all as I understand it. should be good.
________
Ship Sale

Last edited by Cheeseman; 04-01-2011 at 02:33 AM.