Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Calling computer geeks, mini notebooks?

I just picked up a mini notebook computer today. Just need something to tote around town for work, basic computer operations. Email, MS office docs, etc... Nothing very demanding.

I found this at Office Depot for $529 on sale. Want to make sure my impulse buy was not a bad one. Once I open the box it can't go back.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=452837

What say you computer geeks? I originally was going to just get a netbook but this just seemed like a better deal for the money.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Hardware wise, it's no slouch. If you can stand using the small screen then it should work well for you.

1997 T100 4x4
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

dont' know about toshiba. i got an acer for $299 end of 2008, but i'm a poor child, so i don't get anything too fancy.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've had pretty good luck w/ the last toshiba that I owned. Looks like a pretty good price on that model, and its got pretty good specs. Probably one of the more powerful (and large w/ 13" screen) of the netbook/small laptop bunch.

One thing to consider is if you have any existing apps you want to put on there that are on CD/DVD, as it doesnt look like this one has a drive. Figured it was worth mentioning as I had to give my dad my old external DVD drive so he could load things like topo onto his netbook.

hth,
Corey
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

We have been on a Macbook for the last 3 years so I don't have any software to transfer. And the Mac will continue to be our main computer at home. This will pretty much strictly be a work tool for around town. So it sounds like I did OK.

wife dared me to open the box, so I did. I'm an owner now. Weird having two mouse keys again.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 01-28-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: opened the box
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

My go-to place www.tigerdirect.com has it for $699 so you can feel good about that price.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...e%20T135-S1310

So, how far are you from the good skiing...
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Toshiba is a very good brand. I'd take Toshiba in almost anything over any other Japanese brand. The Pentium parts are not the new i3, i5, or i7 or even the previous generation Core 2. That said, this is a derivative of the Pentium M which is vastly better than a Pentium 4. It is a 45nm part which means it will run very cool at 1.3MHz. It is a dual core too. And the fact that it is 45nm means that it is a very recent piece of engineering which means it is a "new" Pentium processed in a modern fab. Actually, the specs say 10 watts TDP! I like it. These are much more robust than the Atom parts.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43568

It says up to 10 hours of battery life which is awesome.

4GB of DDR3 memory means that this chipset associated with this system is also a very modern design. 4GB is alot of and DD3. Nice.

It has an HDMI port so you can drive another monitor/TV which you should count on. The standard screen is small but has good pixel density (1366x768). Supports b/g/n wireless 11 networks so that is good. 3.88 pounds is stellar. I like small screens cuz I HATE carrying around 17" labtops that weigh 10 pounds. The battery life is fantastic.

What I'm getting at is that often the lower priced systems are just very old parts. This is definitely not the case. This is an engineered low power, cool (temperature wise), very light weight, laptop.

Much more powerful than a netbook. This will be very good bang for the buck.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just for comparison sake, a Macbook Air. http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

Just about the same weight and pixel density. No optical drive either. But it uses a Core 2 Duo built with a 65 nm process at 20 watts TDP. The Core 2 Duo will be slightly faster but both of these parts (the Core 2 Duo and the Pentium Duo you have) are Pentium M derivatives. The Macbook only has 120 gB hd. It does have better graphics and better second monitor options.

And even Steve Jobs only said it will get 5 hours of battery life which means 3 hours. I'm not being cynical, that is the truth.

Your little machine is a designed to be an efficient, light, mobile laptop.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks I'm feeling pretty good about my impulse buy now. I would love the Macbook Air but can't afford that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
So, how far are you from the good skiing...
I can put my back country skis on in my driveway, 200 yards to the National Forest, and about half mile up a skin trail for turns. So in less than a hour I can make a lap and be back to the house.

Otherwise 60 min to Purgatory, 90 min to Wolf Creek, 2 hours to Silverton, and 2.5 hours to Telluride.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post

90 min to Wolf Creek

______