Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_S...enger_disaster

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Was in college when this happened, in the cafeteria have a late breakfast/early lunch. Some girls screamed and started crying, we all just kind of stood there with our jaws dropped.

I have been lucky enough also to see a space shuttle launch and some of the other rockets go up from the cape. Working for Lockheed has really been a cool experience from the space part and the IT part. The Mars lander's were build right here at the Waterton campus, going into the clean rooms to see them was amazing.

I can't believe they did not say anything on the news about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Wincher

I was an over the road truck driver at the time and was in FL. going down I-95 when it launched. Pulled over to watch and when it blew up everyone watching thought it was the boosters seperating and didn't think anything of it. Found out a few minutes later on the radio what had happened and was stunned.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Most of you are KIDS!!
I was working as a QA on the Peacekeeper avionics at the rocket ranch in Waterton when it happened. Across the hall was the line where the PICs were made (pyrotechnic initiator controllers, used to separate stages).

Instant lockdown. Suddenly everything was evidence. Air Force was all over it. Then the horror of thinking something we did might have contributed.

It's really amazing the O-rings could have been produced and used in such a way as to cause the explosion. But it was a lesson- government procedure cannot cover every possible mistake, sometimes you just need a dose of common sense and engineering knowledge.

And the will to use it. And to power to make it so despite politics.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was at home sick from school, 7th grade(not really sick, just wanted a day off) and remember it as one of my first negative opinions of the news media. Constant repetition of really no real news other than the obvious. A tragic event with stupid news reporters scrambling around speculating on something they knew nothing about. OK rant off.
2004 Starcraft 10RT