Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default "Making Work Pay" Tax Credit...

Have I been living under a rock? I had never heard of the "Making Work Pay" tax credit until today when a coworker told me about it. He finished his taxes up last night and instead of owing $765 he is getting a $35 refund because of the $400 credit for both he and his wife ($800 total)...

I was doing some reading and from what I can tell everyone "should" have seen a decrease in the federal income taxes withheld that would be offset come tax time by this credit (i.e. the withhold less each paycheck and then use the credit come tax time to insure you don't owe in the end). Well, no one around here remembers a reduction in federal payroll taxes but we've all noticed an increase in federal income taxes this year

Anyone else heard of the tax credit, or finished their taxes and got the credit?

Here are some articles I found via Google search (sorry, some are "political" in there review but I was looking for concise explanations of the credit):

The Making Work Pay Tax Credit

"Making Work Pay" Credit Will Not Stimulate the Economy

The Making Work Pay Credit: Who Will Benefit?

$400 or $800 Making Work Pay Tax Credit
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 02-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yup. Got 750 back. I almost missed it. Good thing I know a future laywer and certified tax agent

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Lifted

Thanks for this. I did not see any increase in take home income and our payroll had no idea what this was. I would much rather get the lump $400 than the incremental payments. The more money they keep from me the better, keeps me from spending it!!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

I use Turbotax and it calculated the credit for me. I went through the credit instructions several times to convince myself that it was applying the credit properly. It does seem like something that would have gotten more media attention.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWheeler View Post
Thanks for this. I did not see any increase in take home income and our payroll had no idea what this was. I would much rather get the lump $400 than the incremental payments. The more money they keep from me the better, keeps me from spending it!!
Interest-free loan to the government.
You can do much, much better to have automatic deposits made to a savings account. Same effect, but you pay YOURSELF interest that way.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.