Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Why is that the correct method where you lengthen the wheelbase and increase the change of the back rubbing when compressed? I saw your post re: the front rubbing. In all the trucks we have done up to 37's this was rarely an issue.

I think there are two way to do it, not necessarily a right and wrong way.
Just a tongue in cheek response to Bikeman's post because he keeps thinking that you can set wheelbase with your uppers .

You can't really do an adjustable LCA easily on the 80 because those arms act like sliders too often and you will mange the adjustable feature, so adjusting the uppers is the common route that creates the desired result and is the "right" way for the great majority of people.

Now having said that, at least on my rig moving the wheelbase back 3/8" seems to have centered my 37s perfectly, but I'm not sure you can extrapolate that back to working for all 80's and it would be an absolute waste of time for anybody running 35's.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

The LCA pivot is down and in front of the axle housing. It may not move 3/8" of an inch, but I know for a fact since my UCA's are more than 1" longer than stock, the axle has indirectly moved rearward. It should have not been my main point.

My main point is that the adjustable UCA's are an easy, decent, bolt-on solution for driveline angles. Not everyone has the knowledge or the ability to have a welding shop be competent to lengthen the stock arms.

Most companies like Slee have to readily offer a bolt-on solution for the average consumer to be able to bolt on a 4 or 6 inch lift in the driveway and have it drive down the road properly.

But who cares anymore, I'm thinking now of what color to do my "race car" paint job on the LX. I'm thinking desert tan.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies