Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Flat Towing an 85 Minitruck

We are looking to take a little trip to Moab this March, and the Misses has agreed to let me tow my 85 MiniTruck there behind the Motorhome. What will I have to do to do this safely? I am finding conflicting info, and I thought I would try here first. I have a fairly stock drivetrain, except for 5.29 gears, Will I have to disconnect the driveshaft? OR will being in neutral(s) be OK. Please help as I need to get some sliders built and I do not want to mess around with the things that the wife thinks are important before this trip. Thanks, Bob
Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Absolutely pull the driveshaft. Your tranny will thank you. Marlin can give you the skinny on why, but suffice to say the tranny depends on the input turning for proper lubrication.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

X2 I pull my shaft of the rear pinion and tie it up to the frame. Takes about 20 minutes, remember to pad around the drive shaft a little so that it doesn't scratch anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

You should check out Trailgear for an option on your sliders. Prices are very reasonable between $135 and $145. I bought their longest ones for my fj60 and have been very happy. I did put an extra leg to my frame but don't know if it was necessary.
Have fun in Moab
Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Rock Stacker

Speaking of towing, has anyone else tried with a 1st gen 4runner and got a lot of jerking from side to side? I tried it locally (across town) pulling it with my late model V8 4runner and was not at all comfortable enough to try the same to MOAB. The bar is very high quality but the brackets attaching to the truck is homemade and has just a little front to back play (maybe worst case 1/2 - 1"). Would this be enough to make it so unstable? I didn't drop the shaft but that shouldn't effect the drive I wouldn't think. I'm wondering if smaller stock tires for the trip wouldn't help a little also. Open to input.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Some questions for you. Do you have a rear locker? Did you leave the steering wheel unlocked? Front hubs unlocked? Locker in the front?

This is what I do,

unlock front
unlock front locker
Turn key so the steering wheel is free to move (very important if not the towed rig will push you in turns)
transmission in neutral
I keep both transfer cases in neutral and 2 high
Rear drive shaft disconnected (a must)
Rear locker disengaged.

Sounds like you may have not unlocked the steering wheel.

Let us know what is what.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Rock Stacker

Nope. Did all that. I even double checked the tire pressure all around. If I hadn't driven it before I would have maybe guessed it out of allignment but It drives great on the road. So that's not it. I'm going to redo the brackets to the towbar and try to firm them up and see what that does. It almost has to be them. Ask me at Moab what the final outcome was.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

One more thing, I would guess that your rigs are only a few to 500#'s different in weight. Do you load up the tow rig or the one being towed? Try loading up the tow rig and keep the one behind as light as possible. And like you said you don't want any loose connections in the tow set up. Good luck and be safe.

Quote:

TLCA #6136