Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rising Sun Rally - annual event

Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Personally I would not like doing it there. Car show yes, rally no. At the Rally we have a captive audience and we can control the entry and exit. This would be impossible to do without a lot of logistics.

The possible benefit of increased exposure vs the logistics of pulling it off would not be worth it for us.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

> Shade

Not that much, unless you go into the mall. Most people have easy-ups or some sort of canopy at the rally

> Bathrooms (closer than a long hike)

The only ones there are either inside a restaurant, in the mall or movies. Still a long walk.

> A/C close by

As in Air Conditioning? How does this help people outside?

> Food and Drink close by

I thought we did a pretty good job at that

> Stuff for the kids to do
> Stuff for the significant other to do. For those of you with a S.O. that is not excited about the Rally, they can go shop while you hang out with us.

But if they don't want to come to the rally at the other venue, they can still do the same thing. I don't understand why it would be benificial to the rally to provide something else for people to do that come to the rally? Other than car-pool that does not sense to me.

> Did I mention Shade?

Again, I don't see it.

> Photo ops...would love to see all the 40's lined up down the "street"

True dat, but then try to do a Rising Sun Car show or something like that. Or have the 40 only run meet there

Sorry, I might sound harsh about it, but we (as in Slee) has done quite a bit and spent some $'s to get the Rally to be a good event. I would not like it to move from where it is at. We are just now getting the momentum again.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Sorry, I might sound harsh about it, but we (as in Slee) has done quite a bit and spent some $'s to get the Rally to be a good event. I would not like it to move from where it is at. We are just now getting the momentum again.
Not that my opinion would sway anyone but Christo is spot on. The location is the Rally and people expect the same location year after year unless there's a reason to shake things up which simply isn't the case. It's getting better every year IMHO and trying to turn it in to what it's not just isn't a good idea.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range 4x4 View Post
The location is the Rally and people expect the same location year after year unless there's a reason to shake things up which simply isn't the case.
True -- there is an advantage to doing it at the same place every year.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
> Shade

Not that much, unless you go into the mall. Most people have easy-ups or some sort of canopy at the rally
The street has a bunch of trees, and the south parking lot has a nice grassy area with trees also.

Quote:
> Bathrooms (closer than a long hike)

The only ones there are either inside a restaurant, in the mall or movies. Still a long walk.
Shorter walk, especially for the people on the street, and much nicer bathrooms also...

Quote:
> A/C close by

As in Air Conditioning? How does this help people outside?
If it is too hot you can go inside for a cool drink (BEER) and cool temps then come back out.

Quote:
> Food and Drink close by

I thought we did a pretty good job at that
We all appreciate what you provide, but not everyone wants hot dogs and burgers.

Quote:
> Stuff for the kids to do
> Stuff for the significant other to do. For those of you with a S.O. that is not excited about the Rally, they can go shop while you hang out with us.

But if they don't want to come to the rally at the other venue, they can still do the same thing. I don't understand why it would be benificial to the rally to provide something else for people to do that come to the rally? Other than car-pool that does not sense to me.
Families with kids often make an event like this a group thing...but the kids and S.O. can get tired of being in the hot sun very very quickly. Having the mall and movie theater right there gives them something else to do while you can hang out. I know of several people who can't come to the rally because of this...and I coud not come a couple of years ago because of this.

Quote:
> Did I mention Shade?

Again, I don't see it.
Take a look in person. The Google image is a couple of years old, the trees are much bigger.

Quote:
> Photo ops...would love to see all the 40's lined up down the "street"

True dat, but then try to do a Rising Sun Car show or something like that. Or have the 40 only run meet there
Not a bad idea.

Quote:

Not harsh at all Christo. I love to hear what you and others are thinking, and I just thought it was a nice place for the Rally. I think the Rally is a very cool event, but I would love to see the event be more Family Friendly, and more comfortable for all participants. What is it about the current location, other than "that is where it has been for a few years", that is so enticing? It is a parking lot with no facilities and no shade. Imagine being able to go inside to have lunch and a beer with A/C, coming back out and hang out some more.

Anyway, thanks for considering the idea everyone.

T
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDØTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Lifted

I got into cruisers in part because of the rally. I was driving home and passed what appeared to be a 4x4 group gathered in a lot with all their rigs. I got off of 6th and came over. Owned my first 40 a few weeks later.

Although there is no shade, I like the area, its very visible from the highway. Maybe we could get a large banner for the fence and get it up a week before the event for a little more coverage. (Don't know if this is already been done) The mall seems tacky to me, just my 2c.

Some of the best local car shows in my memory set up in the back of Home Depot parking lots. Just a thought.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"