Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Toe in/out

I am wanting to adjust my toe in/out on my 40.

Anyone know of a home proceedure?

I get the theory, the degree (or measurement) between the front and rear of the rotor's "plane."

One of my questions is how far forward and behind of the center of the rotor do you measure from?

Kinda' clueless, but a few shops wont even look at my cruiser due to the slop in my center pivot... which I understand, I just want to see if I am even close! ... more like...

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24880/index.html
TLCA#4180
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Lifted

very basic trig, I recall the angle being 1 or 2 degrees.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

With a tape measure.
The top adjuster off the pitman arm will adjust the steering wheel's positioning. The other adjustment onthe draglink will adjust the toe in and out. It's do-able. To get really close. But will take some time and alot of measuring. Measure the from rim bead to rim bead on the front And back in the same spots. half way up about centerline were the axle line is. Ya might want to put a piece of tape or chalk on the tires were your measuring so that you keep measuring in the same spot. Now compare your front and back measurments. And adjust. Happy hunting. I'm off work Saturday.

Last edited by TIMZTOY; 03-04-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Lifted

much more accurate to clamp two long flat pieces of angle/flat stock whatever to the rotors and measure.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

With our taller trucks, I've found that a stick a little too short to fit between the inside of the rims with a screw screwed into the end and a couple of shorty jackstands is the easiest.

Get stick. (broom handle?) Cut it off, put a screw in the end. place stick between the wheels as far forward on the rim as possible. You know, 1/2 way up the wheel? Yeah good. Now screw the screw out/in until the stick just fits in the gap between the front of the rims. Move jackstands to the BACK of the wheel. You know, all the way back as best you can. 1/2 way up the wheel is best but things like driveshaft might be in the way. Do what you can. Got about 1/16th" of extra room for the stick and screw back there? You are in the park on your toe-in.

With the racecars, we used "toe plates." Nothing fancy. Just a couple of flat metal plates (think of a "keep right" street sign). Lean the toe plates up against the tires about 1/2 way up. The distance from the bottom of the plates to the tires doesn't really matter. Measure with a tape measure the distance from the back edge of the toe plates along the ground. subtract what you measure from the front edges of the toe plates along the ground. There's your toe in. With our giant tires and lumpy sidewalls, this might not be the best way.