Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Bill,

We have the sliding glass patio door version of the dog door too. It's very easy to install and setup so there are no air leaks and ours came with a lock too. Very easy to open and close for human passage. We had to pull it out once in order to get a piece of furniture through the door, takes about 5 minutes to pull it and stick it back in.

Also, for those who are worried about other varmints getting in via the dog door. I've heard of it happening but very rarely. We live in a very rural area and have never had an issue. We also have a motion activated floodlight over the patio door, maybe that helps. I think most varmints smell the dogs and probably go the other way.
Randy Rosetta KDěKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well, based on your encouragement, I gave the sliding door version a try. It is a go! I did a cheesy weatherstrip fix to keep the major draft out, and that seems to work OK. I do feel quite a bit of cold coming in through the single-flap dog door though. The entire insert is single pane, and there will be some increased heat loss on cold days.

But it is cheaper than hiring a dog walker. And better for the dogs for sure. Tucker has already kinda figured it out. Ty (the little one) is too nervous to really give it a go... even with dog jerky. THAT usually gets him to do ANYTHING. We will figure it out, he will 'get it'.

Thanks all!!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good for you, Ty will get it after he sees Tucker doing it a few times. It took Dukey about two weeks before he felt comfortable doing it. If the single style dogie door is letting to much air in you can get a double style door. We are getting one in a few weeks, they did not have the right size. We have used and sold these at my parents store for a while but can't get them cheap enough to compete with the big box stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well whaddya know... Tucker not only gets it now, so does Ty. He needed some demonstration from his bro I guess.

I had to do some carving on the doorjamb. Even with the 3/8" weatherstrip I added to the insert on both sides, it wouldn't clear (I suppose I could have gotten some fatter weatherstripping but oh well).

Name:  CarvedForKnob.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  13.4 KB

The sliding door came with a foot lock. I just needed to drill a 1" hole for moving the little plastic latch location. I bet I can get an additional trim piece from Pella to put in the original hole. The foot lock is above Ty's head.

Name:  TyTucker&Door.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  25.7 KB

They think going in and out of this thing for treats is the BEST GAME EVER.

Of course, Tucker just found his tennis ball, which is the BEST GAME EVER.

After that, he will probably rediscover his beach ball, which is of course the BEST GAME EVER.

Then there is the rawhide bone, which in his opinion is the... You get it.

We should all throw ourselves into life with the same reckless abandon. Imagine a world where everything we do or have to do is the BEST GAME EVER.
There's a few scriptures about that...

Thanks you guys!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just herd about a mountain lion going into a house via a doggy door in Salada(sp) Colorado.....if in a area where any unwanted intruder is not wanted...please be safe.

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"In-justice is a threat 2 justice everywhere" MLK

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin

Last edited by SRT08BUS; 03-05-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Not too many cats of that variety in downtown Littleton. And I doubt she could fit in a 7" doggy door. But the concern is appreciated!!
KDěRCH
Bio Page