Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
According to the picture, they already leveled the front axle playing field...
That was a second article on mods for both. The shoot-out was between stock vehicles. I had to chuckle as one thing mentioned BUT didn't factor in was the FJC was $8k less than the Dangler! Put that $8k into the FJC to make the cost comparable and retest!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

There isn't really much of a comparison here.

Put a 3" lift and 35's on both and the JK is in a completely different class, especially in Unlimited form where it also has a reasonably long wheelbase and is reported to be much more comfortable than the SWB version.

KBB reported that the Wrangler also had the best resale value for 2009 in the SUV class.

If Toyota had made the FJC along the lines of the JK with FJ40 heritage in its lines, with a removable top, 4:1 t-case, dual lockers, front solid axle, four door available in a longer wheelbase...Toyota fans would have lost their minds.

Instead of losing their minds over the little issue pictured below.

I really like the FJC and more to the point tend to prefer their owners heavily, I just don't think it is a comparison outside of the fact that if you want capability off the showroom floor you have very few reasonable choices these days.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nay nailed it IMHO.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Well, I'll go against the grain here.

I am a toyota loyalist, it was bred into me. Call me stupid, but I am. When my brothers and I are home at the folks', we hit a grand total of 6 toyota trucks and 4runners, ranging from 87, thru 04. Used to have an FJ-55.

HOWEVER, the rubicon come stock with a 4.0 case, and dual lockers.

The FJC can't really hold a candle to that. Now, I'll take an FJC SAS'd with a crawler set up over the rubi any day of the week, but the rubicon will out perform, stock to stock, the FJ cruiser, with the same driver.

Anyway, its just another jeep rag looking to bash on a Toyota. I stopped subscribing to that crap years ago.
very true.

I may be biased, but i thought the article was well written, and pretty fair to both rigs. they TRIED to give the win to the FJ, its much better on the street, considerably more power, and as they said, it was $8000 less, but as you said, its really tough for any rig with no lockers, and street tires, to compete with another rig running 4.10 gears with a 4:1 transfer case and MT's off road.

i know im on the wrong board to say this, but, Peterson's is pretty unbiased as far as reporting.. they DO cater to volume, and lets face it, theres considerably more of those guys than Toyota - wheelers out there, but keep in mind that in their "Ultimate Adventure", they have built and reported on TWO toyotas, a taco and '07 FJ, and only ONE Jeep... which was really a dodge 3/4 ton in a jeep body (dodge 3/4 ton truck frame and Cummins power train, with a JK unlimited body attached)

Brand loyalty aside, they did a pretty good job of reporting the 'facts' in this one, going on to say "the Toyota SHOULD have won" meaning had it had a pair of lockers and decent tires, it probably would have..any toyota fan who read the article wouldnt be swayed by it anyway, because as someone else stated, you could buy the FJ for $8000 less, and for half the difference, put in selectable lockers, and 33" tires (or larger) and probably run circles around the JK.

now, when they finally decide to make a factory removable top for the thing, then it will be on MY short list of 'wanted' rigs...