Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Sure, I'll be there in my little red Audi. See you at 8 Thanks!
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pulled out my spare exhaust gasket, Toyota P/N 17173‑35120. Measured about 0.0625" thick, layer of malleable material, layer of steel. Welcome to it.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Dave. I ended up getting the same exact thing from Jeremy on Sunday. I took my old OEM gasket and removed the tin spark plug shield leaving just the asbestos part. I doubled that up with the new OEM gasket and so far no leaks. It also helps that the new motor has studs in the head instead of bolts for the exhaust. You can really crank on those puppies without worrying about stripping them out.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Thanks Dave. I ended up getting the same exact thing from Jeremy on Sunday. I took my old OEM gasket and removed the tin spark plug shield leaving just the asbestos part. I doubled that up with the new OEM gasket and so far no leaks. It also helps that the new motor has studs in the head instead of bolts for the exhaust. You can really crank on those puppies without worrying about stripping them out.
Yeah, bolts are not right. I also don't reuse the nuts (or usually the studs for that matter), which I think is why most people have trouble.

The stud + thread locking flange nut is the way the factory did it. The nut has distorting threads when it's torqued, so when you remove them they are no longer sufficiently distorted to stay locked again. The eight studs and nuts come out to about $15 give or take and so that's obviously why mini truck people try to reuse them. Cheap bastards, most of them. If there's a way to save a nickel they'd do it and complain when it doesn't last. There's a reason why the thing lasted 250,000 miles from Toyota.

On my LC Engineering header I use all OEM long studs, 8 x 90116‑10067, and the OEM lock nut, 8 x 90179-10175. I also think people don't torque them down right since the torque setting needs to be higher than a standard 8mmx1.25 setting of 15ft-lb (I think) to account for the thread distortion. I think I used +5ft-lb IIRC.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler