Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Wincher

Default Smog-visual inspection

Hello all,

I need to register my '86 60 series for the first time in Colorado and have never had to do so in an "emissions state." The vehicle currently has all emissions components present but not necessarily connected ( the pipe from the EGR was plugged when I purchased the engine and the hose to the A.I.R. is completely rotted off and broken.) The vehicle ran well prior to the head gasket failing, but I somehow doubt it ever would have passed emissions with the aforementioned issues. I have run a few desmogged 2Fs back east with good results and would love to do the same with this engine. Is this even worth attempting or will I just end up having to return the vehicle to stock regardless of what comes from the tailpipe? I know there are all kinds of tricks (registering out of county, etc.) that people employ to get around this, but I don't think I'm interested in such solutions. I really just need to know if I have any chance of passing without all of the equipment intact and properly routed. Please pardon my ignorance, I appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Do you have a chance of passing visual inspection? Yes.
Would you pass every time? Probably not.

Some of the inspectors are more rigorous about their job than others.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think you would have an easier time just repairing the smog equipment and getting it to run correctly to pass.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Wincher

Would a 2F-E be considered smog compliant if I ran the stock 3FE harness with appropriate sensors or do the stock components per the emissions sticker need to be in place? I have a line on a 3FE top end w/ computer, throttle body, sensors and manifolds that I may purchase if I can get it through smog......

Thanks again,

Brad
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I know on my 40 the emissions sticker is long gone, so they had nothing to look at when they did the visual. (I'm desmogged and running a header). If you make it look original/clean under the hood with the 3FE stuff, you might be able to pass.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Ira Hayes View Post
Would a 2F-E be considered smog compliant if I ran the stock 3FE harness with appropriate sensors or do the stock components per the emissions sticker need to be in place? I have a line on a 3FE top end w/ computer, throttle body, sensors and manifolds that I may purchase if I can get it through smog......

Thanks again,

Brad
Yes, you'd have to get the engine conversion inspected though... and it'd then have to pass the standards for whatever year vehicle the engine came out of.

My engine conversion inspection was quick, the emissions inspection place did it. Everything fromt eh original morot that involves Smog needs to still be intact.

The guy that inspected mine REALLY knew his stuff and quizzed me on all the right things.
82 FJ40