Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Those 80's all look a like to me Oops, I will go in and fix it in a few............dang you 80 guys are picky
That's OK Tom you mini/4runner guys all look the same to us too with your cracked frames and all was that too low of a blow? I'm a closet mini truck admirer.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
That's OK Tom you mini/4runner guys all look the same to us too with your cracked frames and all was that too low of a blow? I'm a closet mini truck admirer.
You should have just brought up the point about us mini folk throwing our keys in the fire (they burn slow with no electornics on them)...... Oh wait, thats just Tom.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

forgot about that.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Pretty funny that all of us had the issue at once (mine was repaired last year, but developed a hairline crack barely visible, 1/4" long). It is a known issue, that routinely gets ignored or inadequately addressed in almost every case until it happens.

Crossover steering is the cause. I bet minis aren't the only ones to experience this... just sayin'... we should look at ALL the modified vehicles in the forward corners of the frames for any cracking. I bet anyone with a welder, or Moab Outpost, will be busy this year.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

No low blows, just fun. Perry is right, our keys can take the fire

Haven't checked my frame yet, but Bill put it together so I bet it is still in one piece We'll see what it looks like when I crawl under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Uh... I did not do the IFS steering box install or bracing though d00d, that was done already I think? I don't remember. IIRC I used the Allpro triangle braces but I wouldn't count on those based on recent experience.

In the words of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday... "VERY instructive..."

I am happy to help; I think we have the nuclear solution to the issue.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Uh... I did not do the IFS steering box install or bracing though d00d, that was done already I think? I don't remember. IIRC I used the Allpro triangle braces but I wouldn't count on those based on recent experience.

In the words of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday... "VERY instructive..."

I am happy to help; I think we have the nuclear solution to the issue.
We did the total conversion with the steering box bracing. If it is cracked I'll just weld plates where I can and weld the crap out of it. I really think you already welded the crap out of it so I am not to worried, if it is cracked oh well, something to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have a 3/16 plate extending the steering box plate up to the inside corner of the frame. Moab Outpost did that for me last year, for $45. At the very bottom of that is where the hairline crack is starting, right in the corner. My plan is to weld 3/16 to the back of the crossmember with a diamond end to it to not create a stress riser, lay a good bead in the corner between them, then welding in two triangle braces. I might triangle the spring hanger as well, but mine is 1" less drop than Rudy's or Cheeseman's.

1" body lift means there is no radiator clearance issue bracing that inside corner.

It is tempting to run a second DOM tube left to right as a second crossmember... but I doubt I need to add weight to the Chili unless really really needed.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I think the only part of that that is still Toyota is the hood and headlight bezel.
That truck is from Canada his name is Robb Rutledge