Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Regardless if changing the fluid fix's the issue at hand the brake fluid should be changed ever few years or when it gets dark/black in color. Really it should be changed before it's black.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
Regardless if changing the fluid fix's the issue at hand the brake fluid should be changed ever few years or when it gets dark/black in color. Really it should be changed before it's black.
In completely agree! Moisture is what causes it to get black and moisture will pit and wear out brake components.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Rock Stacker

Good news: I bled the brake system and there was very little black fluid. It took about 16 oz- 32 oz will guarantee that you'll be covered and have some left over - besides, it's cheep.

Bad news: The brakes are still wonky. I'll be visiting Oleg for a booster. Since I've heard of few booster failures I'm reasonably comfortable with a used part rather than a reconditioned one. And for the price, I could replace them 4 times over.

Thank you all for your input; I'll let you know the outcome of the booster efforts.

1995 FZJ80
1987 Jeep Cherokee
Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would get a free brake inspection from a shop Instead of throwing parts at a problem, and hoping to fix it. almost every shop does FREE brake inspections. Just tell them in detail what happened so they know what to look for. Hell even go to 2 or 3 shops and get diffrent diagnioses. Free beats guessing in my book any day.

S**t swing by my shop in littelton I'll take care of ya, won't test drive too hard
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well Bob, you did not state if you pulled the fuse or not to see if the problem is mechanical or ABS system. I have only replaced one VB on a 80 in over ten years of working on them. It looks like you have only done part of the diagnosis of this. While the VB is some what easy to replace, it can be a bear to set up properly. Do you have a FSM to diagnosis this problem and to show you how to replace it? Or are you winging it?
If so, I would do what Tim as suggested, have a diagnosis done by a shop that will give you the labor for free. Not all shops will do this, but some will.
It is better to know what the problem is, then to throw parts at it. It cost more when you do it this way.
Good luck with your choice.

Tags
booster, brakes, fj80