Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Rock Stacker

Default General Moab Info Needed

I am finalizing details for my trek for CruiseMoab from Tennessee. Due to work and time constraints I am shipping my truck to Denver and flying to Denver on Tuesday evening 4/27 and driving to Moab 4/28. Looking for a little advice on a few details.

Is there a group headed to Moab 4/28 that wouldn't mind me tagging along? If so what time, meeting place etc.?

How long does it take to make it to Moab from Denver?

How early is appropriate to leave Sunday AM? I don't want to take off leaving a group to wrap any group responsibilities. Looking to book a flight back to Tennessee and would need time to drive back, drop off my 80 series at the storage facility and make it to the airport.

I assume that I should show up in Moab with most everything needed for the stay, with the exception of few pershible items that could be purchased in Moab?

Should I plan to camp cook most meals or is there a fairly large group that makes it to town for meals?

Any other helpful information, advice, tips etc would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks. See you in Moab!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

It takes about 6 hours to drive to Moab from Denver when there are no weather delays.

There will be a lot of folks at the BFE camping area. Many will cook there but there is always someone looking to go into town to eat so you could easily go either way. Moab has plenty of restaraunts, grocery stores, etc for anything you might need.

I'm leaving Friday or Saturday or I would be glad to convoy up with you, but I'm sure others will post up here soon that are driving out on Sunday.

Some people will leave on Saturday or early Sunday morning. Give yourself a little extra time driving back to Denver as Sunday evenings the traffic on east bound I-70 can get pretty heavy the last 40-50 miles before Denver. Just plan to leave at whatever time needed to make your itinerary work. We'll have plenty of folks assisting with the tear down.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmocruiser View Post
I am finalizing details for my trek for CruiseMoab from Tennessee. Due to work and time constraints I am shipping my truck to Denver and flying to Denver on Tuesday evening 4/27 and driving to Moab 4/28. Looking for a little advice on a few details.

Is there a group headed to Moab 4/28 that wouldn't mind me tagging along? If so what time, meeting place etc.?

How long does it take to make it to Moab from Denver?

How early is appropriate to leave Sunday AM? I don't want to take off leaving a group to wrap any group responsibilities. Looking to book a flight back to Tennessee and would need time to drive back, drop off my 80 series at the storage facility and make it to the airport.

I assume that I should show up in Moab with most everything needed for the stay, with the exception of few perishable items that could be purchased in Moab?

Should I plan to camp cook most meals or is there a fairly large group that makes it to town for meals?

Any other helpful information, advice, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. See you in Moab!

I am sure that there will be multiple groups leaving Denver on Wednesday during different times of the day. Somebody will post up and usually meeting places are along I-70. Find a group that travels a similar speed as you can.

It takes 5-7 hours to get there normally. I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is down to one lane each way so that may/will slow you down.

Help cleaning will be appreciated very much. Since we will be on open land we need to leave it cleaner than we found it. Normally people pull out anywhere from 7 am till about 2 pm or later. I suggest booking a flight Monday afternoon just in case. If Glenwood canyon is shut down for any reason, rock slide, the alternate route will add 4-5 hours depending on weather and traffic. Or you could break down during CM or the drive back.

Full grocery store in town, anything you need. Also auto parts, tires etc.

Yes plan to cook, town is a bit of a drive this year. That is not saying that people won't go to town to eat. If I were you I would eat in town one night, it is always fun to find a new place to eat and visit town at night.

Lots of tips and advice, to much for one post but some of the top things that come to mind;

Bring spare parts, tools, cold weather gear, sun screen, lots of water for the trail, some fire water for around the fire and a camera. Also a sense of humor and be ready to have a blast

I am sure others will chime in and give you more info, I will see you there.

PS tell us about your rig/yourself and you 4wheeling experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Feel free to leave as early as it suits you on Sunday. We'll have plenty of people who don't have to catch a flight to help tear down stuff. You could also leave Saturday afternoon and drive to Glenwood Springs or some other halfway point. Then your Sunday drive would be easy.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Anything anyone can add is always appreciated.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmocruiser View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Anything anyone can add is always appreciated.
Buy your in Colorado.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Buy your in Colorado.
yes but don't speed into UT and down to Moab as carring accross the boarder is illegal.

If you left Saturday night you could take a southern route back to Denver and get a little tour of Colorado. I'll be heading out Saturday night/afternoon for Durango. Part of the stipulations of my hall pass.

I think most will cook in camp this year. I will probably be cooking back packing style with a micro stove as I'm running solo this year. Maybe town once if others are planning a brewery run

Make sure you bring plenty of water storage, a gallon per person, per day on the trail. Sunscreen, a sunshade for camp if you have one. Good shoes/boots and a pair of sandals/flops. You'll want good footwear while on the trail. Hat to block the sun. A tent that windows completely close up are good. Wind often picks up during the night. (mini sandstorms). A medium weight jacket or more. Temps can drop at night in the desert more than you'd think. I'd recommend a 10 degree sleeping bag. Or have some long underwear if it gets cold. You will want a good flashlight this year. There will only be natural light at basecamp. No AC power sources. I think its a full moon this year. That should be pretty cool. Camp chair is a must. Be prepared to get sand into anything and everything. But that's OK its part of the fun.

Everyone enjoys interesting and unique adult beverages. That makes you a popular guy around camp.

After all that you might think we are a bunch of boozers. But no. You will not see any consumption on the trails. That is a CM rule. But most of us will enjoy a few around a campfire.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice avatar!

Keep an eye on this forum as it gets closer to 4/28. In the past there has been one or more threads about convoys out to Moab. People start leaving the Saturday before, and then pretty much every day between Sunday and Wednesday there's usually a group heading out.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Fill up with gas in Grand Junction, as it is a long way to the next gas station. Also I'd suggest taking the 2nd Cisco exit (202 I think) and follow hwy 128 s down the Colorado river into Moab. Beautiful drive and only 15min longer than hwy191. Be ready to have red sand in everything you bring to Moab. Bring a down coat if you have one. Most of the trails are near town so you have the opportunity to get groceries and supplies in the mornings or after trail runs. I bring a big cooler to keep at camp and a small one to have in the truck during the day. Wear good shoes, most accidents seem to happen while walking around on trail. Join us for the Hot Wing Cook off on Thursday night 7:30ish. Or at least stop by and sample a couple wings.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Fill up with gas in Grand Junction, as it is a long way to the next gas station. Also I'd suggest taking the 2nd Cisco exit (202 I think) and follow hwy 128 s down the Colorado river into Moab. Beautiful drive and only 15min longer than hwy191.
Good tip on fuel. And I've always found it faster driving along the river. I must have a heavy right foot? Maybe its my stock height truck? Either way the scenery is much better on that route.
2004 Starcraft 10RT