Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Lifted

Default Needs some transfer case help please

I was driving home from the swap meet today and the transfer case in my fj40shifted itself into 4wheel and I couldn't get it out. It makes a heck of a racket in 4wd. I can reach up and grab the front drive shaft and wiggle it a good 1/8th in. either way. Seems to me the bearings are shot. All of that rattles big time when its rotating the front drive shaft. I finally got it out of 4wheel when I got home. Sound like a common problem?, or am I totally hosed. I really want to get it sorted out before the ghost town run.

Nick F.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

It is not right or common that a cruiser t-case should shift into 4WD by itself. It is quite common however, that it is very difficult to get it out of 4WD if you are on pavement (or rock) and the front hubs are locked in. This is due to "driveline windup", where torsional stress is holding the internal splines together and not allowing the shift coller to slide along them.

You don't mention whether your hubs were locked in or not; knowing whether they were or not might help in diagnosing the problem.

Going by memory, I'm pretty sure you can replace the front output bearing by just taking the nose of the t-case and front output shaft off, without having to pull the entire t-case. I can't remember whether you can also replace the needle bearings that go inside the front of the rear output shaft that the rear of the front output shaft without pulling the whole t-case.

This page, and this page from my 76 resto will show you some of the inner workings of the t-case. Good luck and happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I would suspect the big rattles are from the u joints being shot (really loose). this will cause a big racket in 4wd on the street even without the hubs locked. That would be a different issue than why your tcase accidently went into 4high. I would look into that issue first.
TLCA#4180
Old 07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Lifted

I took of the front driveshaft off tonight. There is a good bit of play in the universal joint closest to the transfer case and I can wiggle the flange on the nose of the transfer case even more. For what its worth the hubs were unlocked, First thing I checked. It is posible that my wife kicked it into 4wheel with her leg but it takes a pretty good shove with the lever to do it by accident. Drove it around for a while tonight with the front shaft off and eliminated a bunch of the background shakes and rattles. Looks like this is going to be a work in progress.

Regards,
Nick F.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Might as well drop the transfer case and rebuild it. I put my Orion together so many times I could do it in my sleep. I'd be happy to help. Find a rebuild kit (bearings & seals). Oh, and clean the outside real good first!

Old 07-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

See if there is any play on the front output. Grab it amd move it around. It is common for the nosecone to crack and allow the bearings to get beat up.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Is there a linkage issue? Anything slip or get loose in the junk that attaches your shifter to the t-case (IOW, the linkage)?? that happens on 60's a lot, usually they fall out of 4WD though, not in.

I know, I'm not much help.. I'm just a button pusher.

www.gamiviti.com