Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks again. Really helping to make my prep much easier, trying to put a few finishing touches on the 80' series before it goes!

Plan on sleeping in the Cruiser, have a nice platform above my storage drawers and a thin custom futon mattress that fits nicely. Would it be a good idea to rent a small enclosed UHaul in Moab to toss all of my gear in while on the trail?

I would prefer not to have to take everything on the trail or have to leave it laying on the ground in case it were to rain, dust storm etc.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmocruiser View Post
Thanks again. Really helping to make my prep much easier, trying to put a few finishing touches on the 80' series before it goes!

Plan on sleeping in the Cruiser, have a nice platform above my storage drawers and a thin custom futon mattress that fits nicely. Would it be a good idea to rent a small enclosed UHaul in Moab to toss all of my gear in while on the trail?

I would prefer not to have to take everything on the trail or have to leave it laying on the ground in case it were to rain, dust storm etc.
Purchasing an ez-up or some other type of canopy shelter would probably be much more useful than a small enlosed trailer. If its hot you will like the shade. And if it rains you'll have some cover to cook. I guess it all depends what you want to leave behind and your confort with its security. Which I've never even heard of problems in the past.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Assuming things work out (still unsure) I'll be leaving town after work on Wednesday the 28th. So say about 6PM or so. I think that is a day later than you are planning, but just in case. Leaving after work generally puts me into Moab about midnight and I don't expect that to be any different this time.

I fill up here in town and then again at the Shell in Fruita across from the state park. There is a Wendy's there and a liquor store near by. I take the Utah 128 route unless weather or otherwise prohibits. Last time I was in Moab was October of 2009 the state was doing work on 128, so it was closed near Dewey Bridge, for example. In my case taking 128 is no slower.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Would it be a good idea to rent a small enclosed UHaul in Moab to toss all of my gear in while on the trail?

It would be cheaper to buy a $30 tent at Target or where ever and set that up. That way your camp spot is established and you don't have to spend extra $$ on a trailer.

Like Corbet said an Ezee up is a good idea if you have one already if not there will be enough around just bring a beer for the owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

x2 on the tent.

Get an extra cheapie and throw all of your non trail related stuff in it for the day. we usually set one up and make it the "garage". That way you can get all the extras out of the truck like you are describing during the day, and at night they are ready to go. Also as Tom stated, you'll have a camp spot when you get back to BFE.

Welcome from Tn by the way, I am originally from Memphis (moved here in 07). I know it's 400 miles away from Knoxville, but I spent years messing around in those mountains so it feel slike home also
82 FJ40
Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Hi, desmocruiser
I will be sleeping in the car as well.
I have one of these canopy I did not think bringing.
If I can tie it to the factory roof, I suppose I can give it a try.
I plan to bring a backup tent, but I really like sleeping in the car on the air mattress.
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've destroyed EZ up tents in Moab. They don't do so well in the wind, even staked and roped to the ground. $30 wallmart tents on the other hand do very well when staked to the ground and filled with gear. That is definatly the route I would go. Throw everything in it that you don't want in the 80 while on trail. We are 3 miles off the paved road, there is no reason to worry about people stealing you stuff. Sleep in your 80 but store your stuff in the tent.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Rock Stacker

The extra tent is probably the easy and best way to go, thanks for the advice.

No real worries about theft at BFE, I guess all the warnings about red dust had me concerned that a tent may not keep all of it out!

I have any ezup, kinda a pain to take, hopefully someone near my campsite with one will have an extra spot for my chair, hope they like schlitz or Miller High Life!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

I love Schlitz and so does Porter
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
... I guess all the warnings about red dust had me concerned that a tent may not keep all of it out!...
No way to avoid it. After a week in Moab, everything you own will have a nice coating, and you'll be finding it on your gear and throughout your rig for years to come. The inside of my 40 is permanently tinged red.
KDGWM