Very cool. Looks like it was meant to be there. All hail the 3.4
Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

cool
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Very nice Terry. Did you have to custom configure the wiring, or was there a kit?
I did the "wiring diagram" splice. I went to the Toyota site and pulled both the 91 and 96 general diagrams, along with specific ECM and system diagrams. I matched functions and power sources to ensure the engine harness would interface with the body harness. I had the complete 96 4Runner to work with so it made it much easier than just getting an engine and ECM. Having both vehicles side by side was a HUGE help and I would advise anyone doing this swap to buy the entire vehicle before starting.

I now have a bunch of 96 4Runner parts (5 speed, wheels from a Tundra, rear axle, new rack and pinion, rear axle and many other parts.

The YotaTech website has a section dedicated to this swap with much good info. Anyone with questions I can answer, let'r rip. I made a spreadsheet of the splices I did with the wiring harnesses, which I will share. It is year specific. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Terry, Yeah, you need to remove the restrictor. Something else: the 5VZ power steering pump is weak for an IFS steering box / crossover steering application. It will die suddenly and without warning (just leaves you with Armstrong steering; its life might be helped with something like Royal Purple PS fluid and a cooler but... I dunno).

PSC sells a power steering pump kit that takes care of that and more (will drive a ram if you decide on that). I had some troubles with mine whining above 3K RPM, but it turns out it was a failing bearing that PSC took care of for $20 (plus shipping which wasn't too bad).

I also don't like K&N, so when I was looking for ways to spend my 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse gift card, I stumbled upon a dry conical filter that does a much better filtering job (AFE). Washable, too. I also run a K&N foam overfilter, to catch all the nasties, and preoil it with No-Toil Oil (learned from the motorcycle world. WONDERFUL stuff, VERY tacky, and VERY easy to clean with water and their cleaning powder and nitrile gloves).
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Terry, Yeah, you need to remove the restrictor. Something else: the 5VZ power steering pump is weak for an IFS steering box / crossover steering application. It will die suddenly and without warning (just leaves you with Armstrong steering; its life might be helped with something like Royal Purple PS fluid and a cooler but... I dunno).

PSC sells a power steering pump kit that takes care of that and more (will drive a ram if you decide on that). I had some troubles with mine whining above 3K RPM, but it turns out it was a failing bearing that PSC took care of for $20 (plus shipping which wasn't too bad).

I also don't like K&N, so when I was looking for ways to spend my 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse gift card, I stumbled upon a dry conical filter that does a much better filtering job (AFE). Washable, too. I also run a K&N foam overfilter, to catch all the nasties, and preoil it with No-Toil Oil (learned from the motorcycle world. WONDERFUL stuff, VERY tacky, and VERY easy to clean with water and their cleaning powder and nitrile gloves).
Thanks for the info, Bill. If you happen to have the make and P/N of the filter, I would appreciate it. I found the PSC site. The restrictor comes out on Monday. Don't know if I will have time to do the PSC kit prior to Moab. Hope the pump lasts til then. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"