Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Split-Beam-Cli...0433476&sr=8-3

This is pretty reasonable. Anyone own a Precision Instruments torque wrench or have any experince with them? Online reviews, not many, seem OK.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

We had one we used for lug nuts on the race cars. It seemed like a high qualilty tool.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that the numbers were hard to see.

Wouldn't matter for you though.

How much do you weigh? Why not stick an extension on a breaker bar out to the right legnth and litterally stand on it?
82 FJ40
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

from a pm between me and corbet, for those looking to do this....

fwiw, i'm just finishing mine now. getting the o/p seal out was the worst...had to just keep chipping it out. as the mud threads say, make sure you get a proper fitting #3 screwdriver tip. my first one didn't fit and kept wanting to slip out and strip, but the second one i grabbed fit great. if you buy new screws (i did, but turned out i didnt' need to), use on of the new ones to find a tip that fits. don't look at how it drops into the screw, but whether or not it rocks side to side...that's where it needs to fit tight.

and new info....the keyed section of the crank was at the top, around the 11:30 location, so i drew a paint stripe on the balancer where the key groove was and, once i got the balancer pushed on as far as it would go (just shy of the keyed area), i looked from the top down to make sure it was correct.

the bolt was stiff going in when i first started to "force" the balancer on, but a few turns and it was pushing the balancer on easily. i used a deep well 14mm socket on a "flywheel" bolt to hold the crank in place (hit's against the bellhousing at the inspection cover).

my tw only went to 150 and it's over 25 yrs old, never been calibrated and highly abused. still, to get to the click didnt' take much. went to work to borrow a big tw from one of the techs (a 250...the only thing above that went to 600 and came with a 5' handle). i did increments, 175, 190, 220, and 250, and the movement on the bolt is so minimal that it's barely noticeable. from there, i figured another barely noticeable bump would put me at 300.

i used a breaker bar after 250 (didnt' want to damage john's tw), and it literally seemed like it wouldn;t budge. hopefully all is fine. i fired up the cruiser and it has great oil pressure, so that's a good sign i think.

hope this and zanes mud post help future cruiserheads out.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Ige for the tips.

Marco, at my weight the 1/2" breaker I have is 18" long so if I stood on the very end that would be 300 ft/lbs. But I'd feel better about using the proper tool. I'll still see if I can track down a rental but $350 is a lot easier to stomach than $600+ I've never regretted having the proper tool for the job in the past.
2004 Starcraft 10RT