Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETSROLL View Post
Wow. I'm surprised there's not a consensus for the lift.
Only speaking for me very little of the things I do with my truck make lift necessary. I needed strong rear springs for the camper and only run a couple of inches of suspension lift and got through the Rubicon reasonably OK.

My $0.02 on mods:
  1. Bull bar (front bumpers are mostly for deer IMVHO)
  2. Sliders
  3. AT or mild MT Tires (in stockish size)
  4. Radios
  5. Fridge
  6. Winch
  7. Lift, lockers, gears, big tires, blah, blah
I was most happy with my truck at the ARB bumper/30x9.50 tires/radio point and if I'd have added a fridge in ~2004 when I did with the lockers & gears and 33" tires I might never have done lockers, gears and 33" tires. Hindsight is 20-20 I suppose.

But it depends on the purpose of the truck, mine gets me to work, to base camp for skiing/riding/climbing/hiking and what-not, so it just hasn't been well spent money to dump boatloads into it. Not to mention the Monday morning availability aspect seriously precludes intentionally thrashing and breaking my truck. I can think of a dozen things right now that I really could use that $4,000 back for the Air Lockers, 33" MTs and Marlin gears.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
The reality though is that an 80 looks 100% better sitting on 37s than 315s
Fixed it for 'ya

You should definitely lift it and go straight to 37's and do it once . It's the only thing that will put a big grin on your face at this point for the coin you are going to drop.

Just stay out of really big stuff until you get the sliders.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 PM

What exactly do you mean by baseline all the fluids? I'm down with making sure the truck's key systems are all nominal, but is there a way to objectively define that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Where is your maintaince level at? Have you based lined all the fluids, front and rear axle service, coolant related stuff? If not I would base line all the stuff you can before you spend the money on goodies.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I don't think there is a best way to do mods. you pick what is best for you.

On my wife's 80 i did

fridge - moved from my other cruisers
tires 285's
ome lift
Arb bar
winch
ham i'll probably have this month - although i have a handheld I used in in last summer but It'll get a mobile ham.
no sliders - as long as im running family trails and paying attention i should be fine.
I didn't want a rear bumper yet because I don't want to swing out the tire every time we get groceries. The hitch has taken most of the impacts and that was non lifted. i'd love drawers but I choose to keep doing other things. IMHO they are expensive for what they are. Hopefully christo has a nice cost solution soon.

It really depends on the trails you want to run...

baslining the fluids is changing the coolant, ps fluild, oil, atf, diffs, case, replacing cracked hoses, spark plugs, wires, belts, packing the wheelbearings, birfs, etc.
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 04-06-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

and often the fan clutch
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Baselining fluids just means establishing a new starting point for all your fluid change intervals. Since it's often unknown when the previous owner changed what, you just change it all now so any new PM interval is just starting now. engine oil, transmission fluid exchange, gear oil in both diffs and t-case, brake fluid, PS fluid, and coolant.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

It does look like everyone does agree on one thing and that's bein that ham radio is at the top if not first thing on the list.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Sliders and Ham. Sounds like a delicious meal. Speaking of meals, you might want to add the "Snackster" to your list.

You can easily do most trails with a 2.5" OME lift and 285s (33" tires). Bonus: It will also still drive and handle close to stock. I highly recommend starting with this unless you are building a dedicated wheeler or know for sure that you want to start with 35s.

I love my 4" Slee lift and 315s when I'm on the trail, but it's definitely been a trade-off in terms of on-road manners. Plus, my wife hates getting in it now and the kids struggle with the height.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Hulk,

I was thinking of your truck and the lift when I started my thought process. the 4" lift is definately cool. Interesting to hear you talk about the on/off road manners though...

I think I'll "downgrade" my upgrade to the 2.5" OME. Starting with "baseline" all my maintenance items is wise. Resived list is:

1 Baseline maintenance
2 AC Dryer protection
3 Skid plate
4 Sliders
5 Winch
6 HAM/NAV system
7 OME 2.5"
8 BGFs
9 Rear Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Sliders and Ham. Sounds like a delicious meal. Speaking of meals, you might want to add the "Snackster" to your list.

You can easily do most trails with a 2.5" OME lift and 285s (33" tires). Bonus: It will also still drive and handle close to stock. I highly recommend starting with this unless you are building a dedicated wheeler or know for sure that you want to start with 35s.

I love my 4" Slee lift and 315s when I'm on the trail, but it's definitely been a trade-off in terms of on-road manners. Plus, my wife hates getting in it now and the kids struggle with the height.
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition