Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-20-2010, 04:46 PM

I need to figure out what jets I am going to need for "extra high altitude". I'm sure the pig was set up for Denver, but I live at 10,000 feet and I am planning on driving my pig to my office in a few days 11,000+ feet. I will see how it goes.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
I am trying to order the cap, rotor, wires, etc. from Go Toyota on Arapahoe, but they are taking forever and don't seem to be very interested in my business.

Call Joe Borger over at Groove Toyota on Broadway and tell him the RS guys sent you...Jerry is a good contact there as well. Great guys, and I'm sure they'll treat you right and try to get you whatever parts you need that they can get - Come up the back way from the Pines and it might even be a shorter (distance) drive for you.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno bored View Post
I need to figure out what jets I am going to need for "extra high altitude". I'm sure the pig was set up for Denver, but I live at 10,000 feet and I am planning on driving my pig to my office in a few days 11,000+ feet. I will see how it goes.
It's tough because if you get it to run well at that elevation, you'll have to change it to drive normally down in the lowlands. I would opt to go for the jet sizes we listed. It won't be optimal for 10000 feet, but at least it will run reasonably everywhere from Denver on up to the highest passes.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Jets and Timing

For what it is worth, my carb was rebuilt and used the stock jets when the engine was rebuilt last year. Bill Lee of Bill's Toy Shop in Siver City NM did the work

I am at 10,000 in Crested Butte and wheel up over 12,000 and have had no issues with the carb, either starting or running at altitude. I do have the timing set at 12 degrees BTDC. Hope this helps. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys, and thank you Jeff for the Groove Toyota recommendation. I am trying to avoid mudslinging here, but Go Toyota has given me crap service so far. They don't seem to understand that a load of FJ40 parts may bring in more revenue that an engine overhaul on a Scion, but I see where we "old schoolers" stand now.

On another note, I got my 40 running great today. Turns out the choke had been tampered with by the shipper and the linkage had been manually pulled into place in full choke "mode". This gave me a very rich mixture and a very high idle. Funny that the philips choke cable screw was stripped recently as well. Someone knew that they screwed it up.

I am still going to rebuild the carb, but I may try the emissions test before I rejet and see if I pass or fail. This should be a good indicator of a rich mixture I assume? It may help me get it dialed in just right.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I am still going to rebuild the carb, but I may try the emissions test before I rejet and see if I pass or fail. This should be a good indicator of a rich mixture I assume? It may help me get it dialed in just right.
FWIW, my '74 that came from California passed emissions testing with no changes when it got here...That was almost 5 years ago now so things may have changed...Oh, and my '74 runs like crap at higher elevations...Still need to fix that issue.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, and thank you Jeff for the Groove Toyota recommendation.

On another note, I got my 40 running great today. Turns out the choke had been tampered with by the shipper and the linkage had been manually pulled into place in full choke "mode".
I may try the emissions test before I rejet and see if I pass or fail.
I've always received great service from Jerry at Groove and he's been a great supporter of the club.

Great news on getting it running. If I understand the issue correctly, the choke cable has been set so that the butterfly valve would not open fully?

I understand the law has changed a bit (so it may be different now), if you don't pass, you get a free retest within 10 days. There is a shop on Broadway (just across the street from Groove) that has the equipment to check emissions. I had them tune my carb (after a rebuild) to dial the truck in so that it passed.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I've always received great service from Jerry at Groove and he's been a great supporter of the club.

Great news on getting it running. If I understand the issue correctly, the choke cable has been set so that the butterfly valve would not open fully?

I understand the law has changed a bit (so it may be different now), if you don't pass, you get a free retest within 10 days. There is a shop on Broadway (just across the street from Groove) that has the equipment to check emissions. I had them tune my carb (after a rebuild) to dial the truck in so that it passed.
Thanks, Ricardo.

That is correct about the choke. The butterfly valve was sprung shut because the choke was basically fully engaged all the time. This caused it to run super rich and fouled my plugs.

I'll look into that shop on Broadway if I don't pass. I am also planning on going down a jet size or two, depending on the one that I have. I hope to start tearing the carb down this weekend.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just left a message for Joe over at Groove Toyota.
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Glad to hear you got it going.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili