Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rear heater cores - repaired

Just an FYI...

I had three leaky rear heater cores repaired here in the Springs as 'All About Radiators' The guy there seemed like a real pro, and did a nice job of fixing the leaky seams and an inlet pipe, all at a reasonable price. $125 to do all three. I reinstalled one and it is leak free, and will put the other one in soon.
One core had a cracked inlet pipe, and he lined the inside of the pipe with a heavy coat of solder, and then coated the outside with a thin coating of solder. If it weren't an odd size, he said he would have replaced that piece.

I have heard other shops claim these are 'unrepairable', but this guy had no qualms and was prompt and efficient. In conclusion, don't toss out any rear heater cores until you find a willing shop.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very cool to know about the shop. My rear heater core has developed a small leak over the winter. I was told by a local shop that it was not repairable. Looks like I'll be making a trip down south this summer - anyone else have a rear core needing repair?

I understand a few say the rear heater is not necessary, but my truck has so many air gaps I need both heaters running on high in December through February.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

That's good to know. In the past I have been using Kittredge Auto Radiator (not in Kittredge, but in Golden on W. Colfax), and they moved a year or two ago to East Lakewood. Anyway, they've repaired a couple of rear heaters for me, but one I had brought them was unrepairable as it needed a new core, which are of course, made of unobtainium.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
it needed a new core, which are of course, made of unobtainium.
Just out of curiosity, any idea why? Is it the shape and how they form them? I've wondered why that is because I've always assumed they're just coolant passages and fins afterall. I mean it ain't rocket science what they do and how to make them. Obviously Toyota decided it's not worth the money, but wondered why an aftermarket or boutique company never made replacements. Seems like if anything those hot rod custom radiator people could come up with a way to get the hard earned cash of some Cruiser owners.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

I queried the radiator guy, and he said, "It's no different than any other heater - just round' - which made me chuckle. Some radiator/speedometer shops are inhabited by the 'I don't fix Jap stuff' soreheads or those who just won't rise to the challenge. This guy said that rear FJ heater cores often are full of sludge and are rotted out in the middle of the tubing. He was surprised that mine all had just tank leaks. So, I suspect that some are 'unrepairable' - but that too many are simply deemed that way by lazy shops.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Just out of curiosity, any idea why? Is it the shape and how they form them? I've wondered why that is because I've always assumed they're just coolant passages and fins afterall. I mean it ain't rocket science what they do and how to make them. Obviously Toyota decided it's not worth the money, but wondered why an aftermarket or boutique company never made replacements. Seems like if anything those hot rod custom radiator people could come up with a way to get the hard earned cash of some Cruiser owners.
Yes I know why. Back around 1998 or so, I started looking for a replacement and discovered that Toyota didn't make them any more, and that no aftermarket companies made them. Front cores, no problem, but the rear has a unique design. So I started contacting radiator companies to see if I could get them custom made. I figured there ought to be a decent market, maybe several hundred a year? Turns out it takes a lot higher volume (at least 1-2 orders of magnitude) than that to get a radiator company to build the tooling for that particular shape. Turns out there are round cores out there, but they have air pass through them on-axis instead of radially.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

This is a great thread. The whole raison d'Ítre for this forum is information like this. Three thumbs up.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WōRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.