Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Smile CM2010: What you need to know

This was an email we sent out to all the CM registrants tonight. Details:

Cruise Moab 2010: Here's what you need to know.

Dear CM registrant,

Cruise Moab is less than a week away. Here is some information we thought you could use.

DIRECTIONS TO AREA BFE

The headquarters for CM this year is Area BFE, about 12 miles south of the city of Moab. As you're headed south on Hwy. 191, look for mile marker 113. A half mile past this mile marker (which would be mile marker 112.5 if there was a sign), you will turn left onto Pole Canyon Road. We plan to have some signs to help make sure people don't miss the turn, but just in case our signs go missing, look for the mile markers.

Once you're on Pole Canyon Road, go up the hill and follow the road for several miles over a cattle bridge until you see the sign on the left that says area BFE.

GPS for the turn off of 191 onto Pole Canyon:
N 38 25.263
W 109 25.963
This is using the WGS 84 Map Datum.

------------------

WHEN TO ARRIVE IN MOAB

Most CM participants will arrive on Wednesday, April 28. Trail runs begin early the next day.

If you want to arrive early, you can camp at Area BFE or stay in Moab. Please note that we'll be setting up most of the facilities on Tuesday at Area BFE, so if you show up early there, please ask a staff member where you should camp.

------------------

REGISTRATION AND TECH INSPECTION

We'll be starting registration Wednesday morning at 8:00 a.m. Your first order of business will be to get your vehicle inspected for safety. Guidelines can be located here.

After completing your vehicle inspection, you can complete your registration process, including picking up your t-shirts and other stuff. We'll be selling raffle tickets for the big raffle on Friday night, which is sizing up to be one of our best ever.

------------------

CAMPING IN THE DESERT

Area BFE is in the Moab desert. Even if you have been to Cruise Moab in the past, there are some extra items you may want to consider bringing.

First, here are the facilities we will have on the premises:
  • water (lots)
  • showers
  • porta potties
  • electricity in the main area (limited use, not available 24/7)
  • firewood for sale daily
  • If you're bringing an RV or camper, there will be an opportunity to have your waste tank emptied by our cleaning crew for a small fee.
Here are some items you may want to consider bringing in addition to your regular camping gear:
  • Good boots in case it rains
  • Rain gear
  • Warm clothes (it gets cold at night, and Area BFE is at a higher elevation than the city of Moab)
  • A large water container
  • PETT toilet or similar (if you want facilites near your tent)
  • Sun shade or canopy
  • Car charger for your mobile phone (electricity will be limited at Area BFE)
  • Extra flashlights, lanterns and other camp lights -- it gets dark in the desert!
------------------

QUIET HOURS IN CAMPGROUND

We'll be enforcing Quiet Hours from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. in Area BFE every night. That includes generators for those planning to bring their campers.

------------------

NIGHTLY BONFIRE

We're going to have a nightly bonfire starting about 7:30 p.m. Bring your marshmallows. There are plenty of activities planned every night, so make sure to head towards the main "town square" area nightly to see what's happening.

If you want to stay up later, there will be plenty of room around the bonfire for late night revelry. We're going to locate this in the center of our town square area, away from most of the campers, so the party can continue after quiet hours have begun.

------------------

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

When you check in, we'll have a complete Schedule of Events for you. Here are some highlights (in addition to the awesome trail runs during the day):

Wednesday, April 28
3:00 p.m. -- Join Robbie Antonson, TLCA's Tech Editor and well-known off-road driving expert, for a two-hour driver training session.
5:30 p.m. -- Driver meeting. Everyone should attend this!
6:00 p.m. -- Trail leader meeting. Free beer for trail leaders.
7:30 p.m. -- Community bonfire. Slide show after dark. Bring your digital and video cameras, and we'll hook them up to the projector.

Thursday, April 29
5:00 p.m. -- Vendor night! Don't miss it!
7:00 p.m. -- Hot wings and microbrew contest. First ever Cruise Moab Tiki Bar (free).
7:30 p.m. -- Community bonfire.
8:00 p.m. -- Slide show from Bill Burke, off-road training expert and cool guy.

Friday, April 30
5:00 p.m. -- Happy hour at Area BFE.
6:00 p.m. -- Dinner and Raffle at Area BFE.
9:00 p.m. -- Community bonfire.

Saturday, May 1
7:30 p.m. -- Community bonfire. Slide show after dark. Bring your digital and video cameras, and we'll hook them up to the projector. The last night is usually a ton of fun, so stick around if you can!

------------------

Thanks, and we'll see you in Moab next week!

Matt Farr and Hants White
Cruise Moab 2010 Event Chairmen
www.cruisemoab.com
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I got the email, and it answered most questions very well. I do have kind of a specific question. I use an electric cooler to keep my sodas, beer, orange juice, lunch meat, etc. cold. While it can plug into my cigarette lighter, I don't bounce around on trails with a coolerful of beer. In the past I simply leave it plugged in to AC power back at camp while I'm out wheeling.

I was hoping to be able to keep it plugged in wherever there's power near the common area during the day. Normally it is cool enough at night it shouldn't need to be plugged in. Will this be a feasible plan?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

We will have 2 generators onsite, and several power distribution sites near them.

Yes, you're welcome to plug into them.

However, they will only be running in the morning and evening (when we need them for lights & water pressure).

You may want to plan on ice during the day so you have cold ones when you get back from the trail.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff,
If you have an extra battery bring it along and get a power plug. That way you can leave it running 24/7 and if the battery runs low you can charge it with your rig. Just an idea. If you don't have one maybe pick up a really cheap one at Wally mart, you know you always need an extra battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Jeff,
If you have an extra battery bring it along and get a power plug. That way you can leave it running 24/7 and if the battery runs low you can charge it with your rig. Just an idea. If you don't have one maybe pick up a really cheap one at Wally mart, you know you always need an extra battery
I was actually thinking of that as amongst the options. I do have a spare yellow top, and also have a 1800W inverter. But the electric cooler runs on 12v direct (plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet) and has an AC PS I normally use at Slickrock or Spanish Trails. But converting from 12VDC > 120AC > 12DC is silly due to inefficiencies. The thing I REALLY like about the electric cooler is that it is dry - no soggy sandwich bread floating around. It's not an Engle/ARB, just a regular Coleman with solid state heat pump and small fan. It has served me very well over the past 10 Cruise Moabs and keeps things around 40 F cooler than ambient. Get back from the trail, and there is a cold one waiting for me. Wake up in the morning and my lunchmeat is good to go to make sandwiches.

But like I wrote above, I'm not about to go wheeling with a coolerfull of beer. Just not going to happen.

My laptop and cell don't take very long to recharge so I'm not too concerned about those. I have a TLCA board meeting to conduct Thursday evening and figure on having to drive back close to 191 to get coverage.

My Mom has a great expression she uses in her sig line:

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you've got"

It'll definitely be new and different at BFE. I expect some new pluses and some new minuses, and am hoping the former outweigh the latter.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Jeff, I always bring two coolers. The small one goes with me on the trail with just the day's needs.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Jeff, I always bring two coolers. The small one goes with me on the trail with just the day's needs.
So do I. I have my trail cooler and my camp cooler. The camp cooler is big and electric and keeps everything cool all day while I'm out on the trail, the little one is passive and is for my lunch and trail beverages.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

the past 4 or 5 cruise moabs i've gotten in late wednesday night and will again this year. I haven't made a driver meeting or trail leader meeting since probably 2004. is there an online fact sheet for these that I can review? i know the usual safety, cryptobiotic, keep 'em in your review mirror, one spotter, cb channel, know the history, slickrock, don't stand on bumpers, hydrate, & have fun stuff but a refresher would be awesome and probably beneficial to more than just me.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I guess I got it figured out. I'll bring my old-fashioned cooler and get ice at City Market.