Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Wincher

Default Slider Question

How hard is it to turn weld on sliders into bolt on sliders? I assume I need to weld on plates, is that good enough?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yea that and some gussets. I'd just reccomend looking at the bolt on types. And copy that mounting design. Why do you want to remove a perfectlly good slider that's already welded on ? Unless you damaged them at Moab and need new ones
Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Wincher

Nah, Off Road Solutions has a pair of weld on but I'd prefer bolt on. So I figured I find a way to bolt them on. I'll check out a few bolt on and copy those. Thanks

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/specials.html
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

That's odd, I didn't think ORS was in business anymore. Or is it just that Mike has moved on?

97 DR650, 05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Wincher

Heck maybe they aren't. That might explain the lack of reply on my emails. The search goes on I guess.

Nakman, your sliders are bolt on correct?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah mine are, both trucks. and you are welcome to stare at them for extended periods of time.. hey maybe you should buy a tube bender and a chop saw, I've already got a couple angle grinders, then we can bribe someone into teaching us how to use my welder..

97 DR650, 05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Deep, dark thread bump...

So what are the thoughts about bolt-on sliders vs. welding them on. I'm considering bolt-on for the Tacoma and had sliders welded on Imelda at one time. Which is part of the reason for thinking about bolt-on to be honest.

Reasons for bolt-on:
  • No disturbing paint on frame
  • Can properly paint and periodically repaint sliders
  • No grinding and welding to frame (frames are not designed for loads like this and gusseting acknowledges this)

Reasons for weld-on:
  • No movement of sliders (mine actually flexed into the body and I suspect bolt-on probably would have been way worse)
  • No movement of sliders (abrasion of bolt-on sliders and debris will probably rub off finish which wouldn't happen with them welded)

I don't intend to wheel extremely difficult trails with the Tacoma and I never really beat the '91 senseless. But I want to protect the body and I don't intend to baby the truck. I think any flex in bolt-on won't seriously challenge the intended level of 'wheeling. So it's mostly are they stout enough and how badly do bolt-on distort the frame and ruin the paint?

With the potential issue of frame rust on the Tacoma I think burning off the paint inside the boxed sections and not being able to really clean it up worries me more than taking the sliders off every year or two and repainting the outside surface.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's odd, I didn't think ORS was in business anymore. Or is it just that Mike has moved on?
He did close his doors and moved to Kansas I think. BUT he started up again as an online supplier for conversion pieces. His website is constantly changing, so I think he's still in business

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

@Dave

Bolt on works just fine. I drop off stuff all the time hard on my sliders(MetalTech). My truck is 7000+/-lbs on the trail. I doubt your Taco will ever be that fat. I don't personally see much advantage to weld on sliders unless a bolt on solution is not available or unworkable do to frame design.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

I had bolt on sliders on my old Tacoma and they were plenty sturdy. I wheeled my Tacoma a lot harder than I have the 80, and had dimples in my pinch welds to prove it (but no rocker damage). If you don't want to disturb your frame, make sure you confirm that your sliders don't require any extra drilling. The ones I used for my Tacoma had L-shaped brackets for mounting to the frame, and some of the lower mount points required drilling holes. Just another thing to keep an eye on. I think mine were Demello sliders.

Tags
sliders, weld