Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Yaesu FT-8900 - $375 (Denver, Co)

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1720934472.html

Quad band ham radio. Nice little mobile radio that I only used once and it's been collecting dust ever since. Includes separation kit. Only one year old and in perfect condition

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Dave In Denver,
After my experience in CM 2010, it became abvious to me that CB radio won't/Doesn't cut it. So I ordered my Ham exam book and looking at equipment.

And now for my question: Why would a FT-8900 collect dust?

Rami
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Good question, but one thing about hams is that they are constantly tinkering with their outfits and so maybe he got something else. Who knows. In any case this is about $50 less than a brand new one, so it's not a screaming deal but $50 is $50. I've always found the FT-8900 to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in a way. Having 10m and 6m is alright, but without SSB you are very limited. OTOH it is only $25 more than the FT-8800, so having two extra bands for just a bit extra isn't a bad thing.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 AM

I want SSB since my friend has a a boat and he said he uses SSB.
I would like to communicate with him, but I don't know what SSB is :-(
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Rock Stacker

The cross band repeat makes this one real nice. I use the xband mode on my kenwood when I'm out of the truck in the woods. Once programmed it is only a matter of pressing 2 buttons to change the mode. Makes the HT at 5W usable in more remote locations. I saw a lot of HTs at CM. Somebody should take him up on this.
Bryan F, NBJF, TLCA #19606, '08 FJC
Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

After dropping a wad on an FT8800R, I wish I had saved the money and just bought the cheaper 2900. I haven't used the extra features on the 8800 and I probably never will. A cheap 2M will do everything you need for wheeling.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

in the 40 I could see you wanting the 2900. 75 w of power and 3w speaker so you can hear with all the road noise. Otherwise dual monitor is sweet to be able to monitor repeater and simplex. remote mouting is nice too. I have dual monitor in with the ftm-350 and want another because I want to be able to aprs, repeater and simplex. Now i know why guys have 2-3 antennas on the vehicle

the 1802 i have is nice and simple but even though it's fairly easy to switch freq it's a pita once you have a dual.

also get an HT and crossband repeat could be real useful for you in the backcountry martin.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
in the 40 I could see you wanting the 2900. 75 w of power and 3w speaker so you can hear with all the road noise. Otherwise dual monitor is sweet to be able to monitor repeater and simplex. remote mouting is nice too. I have dual monitor in with the ftm-350 and want another because I want to be able to aprs, repeater and simplex. Now i know why guys have 2-3 antennas on the vehicle

the 1802 i have is nice and simple but even though it's fairly easy to switch freq it's a pita once you have a dual.

also get an HT and crossband repeat could be real useful for you in the backcountry martin.
The crossband repeat with an HT would be cool, I need to spend an afternoon reading the manual on this thing.

I might install the 8800 in our truck and get a 2900 for the 40 though. I don't like the fan on the 8800 especially with all the dust in an open top 40, and I don't need the remote mount face with where I have it mounted.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I love the dual band mode, that's no secret. Keeping one ear on a dedicated simplex freq. while scanning others is great. I've never used the cross band repeat mode though, other than one time when I was trying to figure it out.

I don't see any added value in the 8900 personally, but if a good deal on a 8800 were to pop up I'd seriously consider buying a 3rd one, would put it in the XYL's car.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
The crossband repeat with an HT would be cool, I need to spend an afternoon reading the manual on this thing.

Oops.....never mention CBR when Yoda in in earshot! You have been warned! I love the feature but will never admit to using it here. It is evil and even speaking of it will make the earth shift! Global warming has become such a huge problem all because of CBR! :stirthepot:
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior