Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default CO2 Tank Questions?????

I have several questions about CO2 tanks. I did some horse trading for a used 10lb powertank shortly after I purchased my LC. Before attending CM2005 it was filled and used several times during Cruise Moab and the remainder of the summer.When I went on the Snow and Pizza Run in January I found it empty even though I thought it shoud have enough to fill back up one more time. So this spring before CM2006 I filled it again and never used it. I went out this evening to get ready for a trip I noticed the mounting strap was loose so I went to repostion it and it seemed light, so I pulled it out. It was empty?? Tank is stored horizontial with the tank valve closed and the regulater cleared of pressure. I know the tanks should be used in the vertical postion, but thought horizontial storage was ok? Is it a heat issue I dont remove the tank from the vehicle as it is not a daily driver. Could the heat be causing the tank pressure relief valve to blow off?

Thanks in advance for any insight
Dan
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dan, got any pics of the tank. If it's like a scuba tank their should be an o-ring where the valve threads in to the tank. That could be leaking. The other thing that could potentiall be a major problem is that, at least with scuba cylinders, a crack can develop at the neck of the cylinder where the threads are. It's usually visible to the naked eye before it fails. If it fails it could potentially be dangerous.

It's also possible the valve could be leaking, even if it's turned off. Have the place you get it filled at check it out. I would think they should be able to if you explain what's happening. They could put a little gas in it and then check it for leaks.

I'm trained to inspect scuba cylinders. If you can post up a pic I can tell you if it's something I can look at. If so, I'd be happy to at least give it a once over.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dan,
You had the Powertank on the Rim that day when we popped your tire bead back on with my tank? Hmmmmm, now you owe me two beers!
Do you know the vintage of your regulator? I know that Powertank's first series of regulators was problematical as mine was replaced by them, gratis, with a newer iteration after I wrote them about a problem I was having with the first series regulator. Still, if the tank valve was completely shut, the regulator shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Perhaps not a good option if you have a nice pretty tank, but they can be swapped out for an exchange at most welding shops. However, if you have the nice painted power tank I would bet you would want to hold onto it.

Just a thought.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
H-man

hi, i thought i might chime in here,
i always am sure to teflon tape the threads on the regulator where it attatches to my bottle, i have also found leaks for years with a spray bottle filled with water and a little dishwashing soap, and as far as your pressure disc, it tends to only fail when there is a rappid change in tempature for instance after you get it filled you wouldnt want to store it in a hot vehicle until the following day so the bottle will rise with ambient air tempature slowly
hope this helps?
H-man
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the ideas and offers. Took the tank to Centennial Tap had them check it out. There was a leak between the valve and prv. Seems to be ok now, but I have not left it in the truck since then and it is still presseurized

Quote:
Dan,
You had the Powertank on the Rim that day when we popped your tire bead back on with my tank? Hmmmmm, now you owe me two beers!

Steve
2 are not enough for your help on the rim. Thanks again
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008