Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default project emissions 2010

well, the sniffer wasnt' too bad, but i did fail inspection. apparently arvada now realizes that there are supposed to be two cats under an 80

i've had the new cat and a new muffler, along with plans to go up and over the frame for a while...guess they forced my hand. so, project emissions begins. not sure i'm going to be able to make the bend with flex at the first cat. hope so, cause i got no way to bend up tube.

hopefully now, i'll be able to get the new slider mounted up too. we shall see. with the exhaust out, i'm working on cutting off the old slider mounts.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Buy some mandrel bends and weld up your system!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

They told me that at Arvada too, but I argued them off their position. I did have to replace the one cat I did have though for it to pass though. This was on my Audi which I have since sold.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 05-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

I am not looking forward to this in the fall when my tags are due. I was at A&A Muffler on Thursday having my muffler rewelded to clear the rear CV when I asked Scott what 2 cats would cost in a whole new system from the muffler forward, $600. I may just register the damn thing at my mom's in Prescott if it fails after the work.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Buy some mandrel bends and weld up your system!
easier said than found. used to be able to find exhaust kit stuff everywhere, now not so easy. need to get it done today cause next weekend is the last weekend i can get it through..i'm gone the weekend after that and if i have to pay the extra $25 bucks for being late, i may just have to go kick ritter in the nads.

everything was looking pretty good until i realized i just welded the old cat on upside down also going to have to actually weld the new cat to the head pipe...i was hoping i would be able to clamp it so it could be easily removed (for replacement, of course) crap!
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
easier said than found. used to be able to find exhaust kit stuff everywhere, now not so easy. need to get it done today cause next weekend is the last weekend i can get it through..i'm gone the weekend after that and if i have to pay the extra $25 bucks for being late, i may just have to go kick ritter in the nads.

everything was looking pretty good until i realized i just welded the old cat on upside down also going to have to actually weld the new cat to the head pipe...i was hoping i would be able to clamp it so it could be easily removed (for replacement, of course) crap!
Weld header flanges on the pipe and cat! It is amazing coincidence that my spun metallic substrate high flow 3" cat fit's perfectly in the same position and my emission compliant dual cat set up fits! Also fortunate is the fact that my spun high flown passes roadside emissions and actually surpasses the original specs of my vehicle. It is unfortunate that "Get Rid of Ridder" new standards require the highly restrictive-cut the fuel mileage to 5 MPG E-comp dual setup. I run a metallic substrate cat because the SC will melt the precious metal cats!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Weld header flanges on the pipe and cat! !
wanted to do that, but also, easier said than found. i used to see them in summit all the time and i can't even find the cheap ones on their website, just the $90/pr ball style. i wish supershops was still around.

this is still just a "temporary" thing. i will have a normal exhaust sometime, but right now, all my money for the next couple of years is going towards a shed and siding. also would really like a different 80...tired of the rust and the p.o. electrical mods.
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
wanted to do that, but also, easier said than found. i used to see them in summit all the time and i can't even find the cheap ones on their website, just the $90/pr ball style. i wish supershops was still around.

this is still just a "temporary" thing. i will have a normal exhaust sometime, but right now, all my money for the next couple of years is going towards a shed and siding. also would really like a different 80...tired of the rust and the p.o. electrical mods.
Any exhaust shop will have both the flanges and possibly some mandrel bent pre-bends.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4760/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-21105/
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Any exhaust shop will have both the flanges and possibly some mandrel bent pre-bends.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4760/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-21105/
son of a.... i was searching for "flanges"...

got it "done". a couple small exhaust leaks where i welded, mainly cause i can't get to the top of the pipes to get them. it will most likely make a bit of a rattle, cause it's way too close to the frame to not hit it. hopefully that will motivate me to fix it sooner i was two clamps short, so i'll get those tomorrow.

also got 3 of the frame braces for the new slider welded on. got to make the fourth. the p.o. didn't put anything on to distribute the impact and it's kind of hard to see in photos, but your frame will bend.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

w8ell, onto project emissions 2012. was due in may and failed. gas cap and nox (you have to have the cap on the vehicle, not in the vehicle ).

results in may, running 2010 exhaust and 2 bottles of heet in a 1/2 tank fuel
hc .8368/2.0
co 15.8675/20.0
co2 586.6560
nox 4.7948/4.0

got home and the cats tested with only 20 degrees difference in to out. hated old exhaust anyways, so saved up for new exhaust

finally today, took it down again. new exhaust w/ new cats, big bottle of rubbing alcohol in 1/2 tank fuel, new fuel cap ON the vehicle

hc 1.0184/2.0
co 10.8315/20.0
co2 765.2759
nox 3.8012/4.0

passed. i do not have to deal with ritters b.s. for two more years (oh, except the $100 extra that my plates will cost since i'm seven months late ). yeah
ige tlca #1431